Kelsey Buchananís Career-Day Propels Blue Hens to 85-71 Victory Over College of Charleston
NEWARK, Del. – Senior Kelsey Buchanan (South Riding, Va.) eclipsed the 30-point mark for the first time in her career Friday afternoon as she helped propel the University of Delaware women’s basketball team to an 85-71 win over the College of Charleston at the Bob Carpenter Center.
Buchanan exploded for a career-high 33 points on 10-of-24 shooting from the floor and 13-for-17 from the charity stripe in addition to pulling down 12 rebounds for her seventh double double of the season.
Freshman Hannah Jardine (St. John’s, Newfoundland, Canada) also collected a career-high 12 rebounds in addition to eight points for the Blue Hens, who picked up their fourth straight win to move to 15-6 overall and 7-3 in the CAA.
The game belonged to the Blue Hens from the outset as UD took the lead eight minutes into the game, led by 40-31 at halftime and cruised to the 14-point win thanks to a season-high 85 points that was highlighted by 33 points from the foul line.
The College of Charleston (12-12, 5-6 CAA), which lost for the fourth time in its last five outings, received 23 points, including six three-pointers, from Alyssa Frye. Afreyea Tolbert added 15 points, seven rebounds and five assists for the Cougars while Bre Bolden contributed 11 points and 10 rebounds.
Delaware successfully avenged a 68-66 setback to The College Jan. 26 in which the Hens rallied from a 20-point halftime deficit to fall short in the final seconds.
The two teams had to wait a day to square off for the second time this season as a winter storm hit Delaware on Thursday and forced the postponement until Friday afternoon.
Head Coach Tina Martin
“This is a big win for us because we’re such a young group and so many things have been thrown our way this year. For our young kids to be focused and ready to go today after a snow day, I thought said a lot about their mental preparation for this game. They’re a fun group to coach right now; we just have to keep it going.”
Senior Kelsey Buchanan
“I was really excited to reach this new career-high, I really wanted to eclipse 30 points and it really helped boost team morale because everyone was rooting for me to keep scoring. This was a great team win because since we lost to them last month, we knew we were capable of beating them and we wanted this win badly.”
Sophomore Courtni Green
“We needed to push and share the ball in transition and stop them on defense and I thought we did a good job of that today. We had to play hard on defense because their guards were trying to penetrate the middle.”
· Delaware has won four straight games.
· The Blue Hens are now 202-80 (.716) all-time at the Bob Carpenter Center.
· UD has had at least two players score in double digits in all 21 games this season.
· Delaware outscored Charleston, 40-20, in the paint.
· The trio of Joy Caracciolo, Courtni Green and Hannah Jardine combined to go 18-for-19 from the foul line.
· The last time UD made 33 free throws came in a 72-65 win at James Madison on Jan. 29, 2012.
· Kelsey Buchanan has scored in double figures in all 21 games this season and has reached at least 20 in four of the last five games.
· Tina Martin is 356-187 (.656) during her 18 seasons as a head coach at Delaware.
· Sunday, Feb. 16 – Towson at Delaware* - 2 p.m. – Bob Carpenter Center (Newark, Del.) – Women’s Health Awareness Game
· Tuesday, Feb. 18 – Delaware at Drexel* - 7 p.m. – Daskalakis Athletic Center (Philadelphia, Pa.)
· Thursday, Feb. 20 – James Madison at Delaware* - 7 p.m. – Bob Carpenter Center (Philadelphia, Pa.)