Delaware Women's Soccer Falls in Season Opener to St. Johnís, 2-1
St. John’s scored the opening goal of the contest when freshman midfielder Morgan Tinari found the net past Blue Hen goaltender Jessica Levy with 13:59 on the scoreboard.
With 20:30 remaining in the second half, Delaware freshman defender Michelle McEnroe nailed a shot from 25 yards out after scrambling through two St. John’s players to tie the contest. Senior Chelsea Duffy and freshman Madison Brosler each tallied an assist on the McEnroe score.
The Red Storm stifled the Blue Hen comeback effort when Morgan Tinari scored her second goal of the game with 11:38 remaining in the game to lift St. John’s to victory.
“Hats off to St. John’s as they put the ball in the net when the opportunity arose but I am really excited about the way we moved the ball and created quality chances. Our team put in a tremendous effort and to have so many freshmen impact the game was great to see. Congrats to Michelle for her first collegiate goal. She came into a tough situation and played very well.”
- Head Coach Scott Grzenda
- The Blue Hen’s women’s soccer team opened the 2013 athletics campaign for Delaware.
- Tonight’s contest began the start of head coach Scott Grzenda’s 24th season (428th game) at Delaware.
- McEnroe’s game-tying goal marked her first collegiate score of her career.
- Brosler’s assists is the first of her career as a Blue Hen.
- Five Blue Hen freshmen saw their first collegiate action in tonight’s contest at St. John’s.
- Delaware resumes play Sunday, Aug. 25 on the road at Monmouth for a 1 p.m. start.