Senior Adam Lawton Top Flight Champion Following Three Wins at Navy Invitational
ANNAPOLIS, Md. – The University of Delaware men’s tennis team wrapped up the Navy Invitational Sunday morning with seven victories against St. Bonaventure University while senior Adam Lawton (Estepona, Spain) was named the Top Flight Champion after picking up three wins on the weekend.
In addition to victories against Navy and Temple, Lawton defeated SBU’s Elliot Fanshell, 6-4, 6-3, to sweep the No. 1 singles spot during the tournament.
For the second straight match, Lawton teamed up with fellow senior Troy Beneck (Wilmington, Del.) to defeat Fanshell and teammate Javier Ortiz, 8-5, in top flight doubles action.
Also in doubles play, freshman Roy Cheng (Shatin, Hong Kong) and sophomore Mike Furr (Kennett Square, Pa.) collected their first win as a pair with a 8-5 victory over Timothy DeSanto and Jacob Mishkin.
Delaware Assistant Coach Austin Longacre – “We had a good showing this weekend against all three opponents and we’re excited to have some of our freshmen get their first career wins under their belts.”
· There was no team scoring at this weekend’s Navy Invitational.
· Also earning Flight Champion status was the doubles team of freshman Zack Niklaus (Cos Cob, Conn.) and sophomore Alex Sweet (Naples, Fla.). The duo defeated both Navy and Temple, but did not compete Sunday against Saint Bonaventure.
· Troy Beneck is 54-30 all-time in a Delaware uniform, good for sixth all-time. Sam Barrer (2006-10) is fifth on the list with 56 career wins.
· Adam Lawton’s career record now sits at 47-12, good to tie for 14th all-time in Delaware history (Lee Kennedy, Nolan Greenberg, Andrew Vorobyov).
· Dating to last season, Lawton has won four straight singles matches.
· Beneck and Lawton hold a 43-17 career doubles record, a new school record. Courtney Scott/Chris Hincker (2009-11) previously held the record of 41-21 for the Blue Hens.
· Beneck is 59-25 in career doubles play, tying Andre Vorobyov’s (2008-12) school record of 59-31.
· Lawton is 42-19 in career doubles play, good to tie for 11th all-time in Delaware history with Ira Bernstein (1995-99) and Ryan Kent (2009-12).
· Sept. 20-22 – Delaware at Saint Joseph’s Tournament, Philadelphia, Pa.
· Sept. 27-29 – Delaware at Penn Tournament, Philadelphia, Pa.
· Oct. 5-6 – Delaware at Lehigh Tournament, Bethlehem, Pa.
No team scoring
1. Adam Lawton (D) def. Elliot Fanshell (SB), 6-4, 6-3
2. Troy Beneck (D) def. Javier Ortiz (SB), 6-0, 6-2
3. Zack Niklaus (D) def. Celso de Vera Rehnberger (SB), 7-6 (7-2), 6-3
4. Trevor Haskell (SB) def. Evan Andrews (D), 6-4, 3-6, 1-0 (10-6)
5. Jacob Mishkin (SB) def. Tyler Flematti (D), 1-6, 6-4, 1-0 (10-6)
6. Alex Sweet (D) def. Timothy DeSanto (SB), 6-3, 0-6, 1-0 (10-8)
7. Roy Cheng (D) def. Hristo Hristov (SB), 6-2, 6-1
8. Blake Dantzler --- DNP
Order of Finish: 7, 2, 5, 6, 3, 1, 4