University of Delaware Volleyball Plays Another Five-Set Match but Falls at Villanova, 3-2
VILLANOVA, Pa. -- The University of Delaware volleyball team played another five-set match on Tuesday night, but the Blue Hens could not pull off the comeback win as Villanova edged UD, 3-2, at Jake Nevin Field House.
The Wildcats, who improved to 5-5 on the season, captured the match by set scores of 25-22, 24-26, 25-15, 20-25, 15-4. Delaware, which played its fifth five-set match of the year and its fourth in the last five contests, dropped to 6-5 and had its three-match winning streak snapped.
The Blue Hens dropped two of the first three sets and were down 10-7 in the fourth, but Delaware used a 13-4 run to take control and eventually put the set away on a Katie Hillman kill.
The Wildcats held a slim 3-2 lead in the deciding fifth set, but then exploded to take the next eight points and pull away.
Redshirt sophomore Chandler Bryant led a balanced UD effort with nine kills against just one attack error to hit a match-high .421 for the Blue Hens, while Hillman also had nine kills on the night. Senior Katie Hank added nine kills as well and is now just two kills shy of 800 for her career, while freshman Megan Blunden was the fourth Delaware player with nine kills.
Michaela Berendt paced Villanova with 20 kills, while Claire Crutchfield and Lauren Carpenter added 15 apiece.
“It was a total disappointment in our serve receive that cost us the match,” said Delaware head coach Bonnie Kenny. “We never got into a good offensive tempo because we couldn’t pass well. When we could run the middle we were effective on offense. Give credit to Villanova for their tempo because it totally exploited our block, which was nonexistent.”
• Ariel Shonk went over the 30-dig mark for the fourth time this season
• Mackenzie Olsen has now surpassed the 30-assist mark seven times this year
• Olsen posted her fourth double-double of the season (36 assists/12 digs)
• Jill Meyers’ seven kills tied for her second most on the season
• Katie Hillman had her eight-match double figure kills streak snapped
• Hillman needs six more kills to reach 400 for her career
• UD wraps up its non-conference schedule this weekend with three matches at the Clemson Classic.