Five Hens Advance to Flight Semi-Finals of Saint Joseph’s Fall Invitational
PHILADELPHIA, Pa. – The University of Delaware men’s tennis team opened singles play at the Saint Joseph’s Fall Invitational Saturday as five Blue Hens advanced to their respective flight semi-finals.
Freshman Roy Cheng (Naples, Fla.) defeated Thomas MacLeod (La Salle) and Tyler Pultro (Drexel) in Flight 3 action to continue a four-match winning streak.
Seniors Troy Beneck (Wilmington, Del.) and Adam Lawton (Estepona, Spain) also picked up records of 2-0 on the day to move to the Flight 1 semi-finals. With the wins, Lawton moves to 5-0 on the year and extends his winning streak to six matches. Beneck improved to 4-1 overall and has won four consecutive matches.
In singles Flight 2, sophomore Mike Furr (Kennett Square, Pa.) went 2-0 over Rob Kasinow (La Salle) and Paranjay Mahlhotra (SJU) for his first victories of the season.
Sophomore Tim Puterio (Kingston, R.I.) continued a hot weekend, going 2-0 in singles Flight 4 actions to advance to the semi-finals. Puterio defeated Lafayette’s Mitch Abramo for his first career singles victory before picking up a win against Army’s Joey Hatala.
· The Saint Joseph’s Fall Invitational wraps up Sunday, with action beginning at 8:30 a.m.
· Freshmen Tyler Flematti (Kingwood, Texas) and Blake Dantzler (Winter Haven, Fla.) collected their first career victories.
· Sophomore Evan Andrews (York, Pa.) registered his first win of the season.
· Troy Beneck is 56-30 all-time in a Delaware uniform, which ties him with Sam Barrer (2006-10) for fifth in UD history.
· Adam Lawton’s career record now sits at 49-12, good for 13th all-time in Hens history. Four former players (Jeff Olmstead, Allen Shukow, Jonathan Schwartz, Josh Ditman) are tied for ninth all-time with 50 career victories.
· Three Blue Hens are undefeated so far this season in Lawton (5-0), Furr (2-0) and Puterio (2-0).
· Five Blue Hens have won at least two straight matches in Lawton (six straight), Beneck (four straight), Cheng (four straight), Furr (two straight) and Puterio (two straight).
· Delaware players combine for an overall singles record of 23-20.
· Sept. 20-22 – Delaware at Saint Joseph’s Tournament, Philadelphia, Pa.
· Sept. 27-29 – Delaware at Penn Tournament, Philadelphia, Pa.
· Oct. 5-6 – Delaware at Lehigh Tournament, Bethlehem, Pa.
No team scoring
SINGLES FLIGHT 1
Zack Niklaus (UD) def. De’Sean Fennell (La Salle), 7-6 (3), 6-2
Badr Ouabdelmoumen (Drexel) def. Niklaus (UD), 6-1, 6-2
Troy Beneck (UD) def. Thomas O’Brien (VU), 7-6 (2), 6-0
Beneck (UD) def. Alex Fioravante (Drexel), 3-6, 7-5, 11-9
Adam Lawton (UD) def. Christopher Seitz (VU), 6-4, 6-4
Lawton (UD) def. Dan Barrus (SJU), 6-1, 6-1
SINGLES FLIGHT 2
Evan Andrews (UD) def. Brian Stefanowicz (Lafayette), 6-2, 6-4
Andreas Urrea (SJU) def. Andrews (UD), 6-1, 6-4
Tyler Flematti (UD) def. Dale Fetterman (La Salle), 6-4, 6-2
Mike Rosengren (VU) def. Flematti (UD), 6-1, 6-1
Mike Furr (UD) def. Rob Kasinow (La Salle), 6-1, 6-0
Furr (UD) def. Paranjay Mahlhotra (SJU), 4-6, 6-4, 10-5
SINGLES FLIGHT 3
Roy Cheng (UD) def. Thomas MacLeod (La Salle), 6-4, 6-3
Cheng (UD) def. Tyler Pultro (Drexel), 6-3, 6-1
T.J. Morgan (Lafayette) def. Alex Sweet (UD), 7-5, 7-5
Bradley Noyes (VU) def. Sweet (UD), 6-1, 6-4
SINGLES FLIGHT 4
Tim Puterio (UD) def. Mitch Abramo (Lafayette), 6-3, 6-2
Puterio (UD) def. Joey Hatala (Army), 6-2, 6-0
Blake Dantzler (UD) def. Andy O’Connell (La Salle), 6-1, 6-4
Luis Miranda (VU) def. Dantzler (UD), 6-4, 6-3