Carmen Lai and Abby Martinez Advance for Blue Hens in Cissie Leary Classic
PHILADELPHIA, Pa. – Sophomore Carmen Lai (Shatin, Hong Kong) and junior Abby Martinez (Winter Haven, Fla.) survived and advanced Saturday for the University of Delaware women’s tennis team at the 17th Annual Cissie Leary Classic, hosted by the University of Pennsylvania.
In the singles second round consolation flight “A,” Lai picked up wins over Galina Chernykh (Rhode Island) and Elizabeth Sims (Richmond) to move to Sunday’s semifinals.
Martinez opened the day with a loss, but bounced back to defeat Cornell’s Kyja Kutnick, 6-4, 6-4 in the first round consolation consolation to stay alive and play Sunday.
Delaware Head Coach Laura Travis – “The Cissie Leary Classic provides a high caliber of play at an extraordinary tennis facility in the heart of Philadelphia. This weekend, we have been able to identify target areas for each player to be training. We have seen moments of improvement in these specific areas while competing at a high level.”
· The Cissie Leary Classic wraps up Sunday, with play beginning at 9 a.m.
· Carmen Lai has won two straight matches and holds a career record of 24-10.
· Lai will play Ksenia Berestetska (Akron) in the Singles Second Round Consolation Flight A Semifinals.
· Abby Martinez will play Carly Bohman (Temple) in the Singles First Round Consolation Consolation Semifinals.
· September 20-22 – Cissie Leary Classic at Penn, Philadelphia, Pa.
· September 27-29 – Saint Joseph’s Tournament, Philadelphia, Pa.
· October 11-13 – Women’s Collegiate Invitational, Flushing Meadow, N.Y.
No team scoring
SINGLES SECOND ROUND CONSOLATION FLIGHT A
Carmen Lai (UD) def. Galina Chernykh (Rhode Island), ref.
Lai (UD) def. Elizabeth Sims (Richmond), 6-2, 6-2
Anna Abadias (Richmond) def. Dorothy Safron (UD), 6-2, 7-5
SINGLES SECOND ROUND CONSOLATION FLIGHT B
Emma Lewis (Bowdoin) def. Kim Milla (UD), 6-2, 6-2
Katya Salas (Richmond) def. Olivia Heim (UD), 6-1, 6-4
SINGLES FIRST ROUND CONSOLATION FLIGHT A
Yanita Arnadova (St. John’s) def. Nataliya Naumova (UD), 6-2, 6-0
SINGLES FIRST ROUND CONSOLATION FLIGHT B
Liza Sadovnikova (Rhode Island) def. Abby Martinez (UD), 2-6, 6-1, 10-3
Jordan Rucks (Rhode Island) def. Christina Harrington (UD), 6-4, 6-2
SINGLES FIRST ROUND CONSOLATION CONSOLATION
Samantha Stalder (Bowdoin) def. Nataliya Naumova (UD), 7-5, 7-6 (2)
Abby Martinez (UD) def. Kyja Kutnick (Cornell), 6-4, 6-4
DOUBLES SECOND ROUND CONSOLATION
Melissa Kandinata/Katya Salas (Richmond) def. Nataliya Naumova (UD)/Brigitte Desnoes (Penn), WO, inj.
Kim Milla/Olivia Heim (UD) def. Diamond Adams/Puck Vlaskamp (St. John’s), 8-4
Tiffany Cheng/Pilar Giffenig (Bowdoin) def. Milla/Heim (UD), 8-5
Cheng/Giffenig (Bowdoin) def. Christina Harrington/Abby Martinez (UD), 8-2