University of Delaware Menís Soccer Wins Third Straight With 2-0 Shutout at Saint Peterís
JERSEY CITY, N.J. -- The University of Delaware men’s soccer team continued its early season success and won its third consecutive match by posting a 2-0 shutout at Saint Peter’s in a non-conferene contest Friday afternoon.
The Blue Hens, who are a perfect 5-0 at Delaware Mini-Stadium, recorded their first win outside of Newark while moving to 6-1 on the campaign. Delaware has now started a season 6-1 or better for the seventh time in school history, and has notched a pair of three-match winning streaks in the same year for just the sixth time.
UD freshman sensation Guillermo Delgado put the Blue Hens on the board with only six seconds remaining in the opening half when he took a feed from Kyle Nuel and found the back of the net. Delgado, who has now tallied a point in seven consecutive games, moved back into the Division I lead with nine goals and 19 points this season.
Blue Hen senior Prince Nartey gave Delaware an insurance goal when he converted a penalty kick at the 59:33 mark to post his second tally of the year.
UD junior goalkeeper Borja Barbero would make the lead stand up, as he matched his season-high with four saves while recording his second shutout. David Giddings stopped seven shots for Saint Peter’s, which fell to 1-4-1 on the year.
“This was another great win for UD today to move us forward,” said Blue Hen head coach Ian Hennessy. “I’m very pleased that we managed a clean sheet against an opponent who made things very difficult for us on the day and were very difficult to break down.”
• UD held an 18-6 shot advantage, including 15-2 in the first half
• Delgado’s 19 points this season are 11 more than any other player in the CAA
• Barbaro has made four saves in four matches this year
• Nuel recorded his second assist of the year
• Both of Nartey’s goals have been on penalty kicks
• Delaware has now outscored its opponents, 20-7
• The Blue Hens are back on the road on Wednesday with a 4 p.m. match at Iona