UD Doubles Teams Advance to SJU Invitational Semifinals
PHILADELPHIA, Pa. – The University of Delaware women’s tennis team went 5-1 Friday afternoon in doubles action on the opening day of the Saint Joseph’s Invitational.
Senior Dorothy Safron (New York, N.Y.) and sophomore Carmen Lai (Shatin, Hong Kong) advanced to the Flight 1 semifinals after wins over Lafayette and Drexel. The duo defeated Lafayette’s Amanda Kusnierz/Rocine Moschella, 8-0, before picking up an 8-3 win against Drexel’s Lea Winkler/Erin Bowsher.
Senior Olivia Heim (Gibsonia, Pa.) and junior Kim Milla (Miguel Hidalgo, Mexico) also earned a first round Flight 1 victory by defeating Lafayette’s Caroline Nixon/Catherine Senoplous, 8-5. Drexel’s Zeynep Mafa/Marcela Rosales stopped the pair from moving on to the semifinals with an 8-6 loss.
In Flight 2 doubles play, juniors Christina Harrington (Millersville, Md.) and Abby Martinez (Winter Haven, Fla.) earned a semifinals berth following an 8-1 win each over Lafayette’s Tori Almeida/Lauren Tracy and SJU’s Claire Minnoe/Alex Zachem.HEN SCRATCHINGS
- Delaware opens singles play Saturday in the SJU Invitational at 10 a.m.
- Dorothy Safron is 52-32 all-time in doubles play, tying her for 10th in Delaware history with Ingrid Dellatorre (1984-88) and Tracy Guerin (1996-00).
- The duo of Safron and Carmen Lai is 18-13 all-time, good to tie for 12th in UD history with Montse Ripoll/Ivana Petrich (2009-11) and Brittany Barsky/Alexa Dragonette (2004-08)
- September 27-29 – Saint Joseph’s Tournament, Philadelphia, Pa.
- October 11-13 – Women’s Collegiate Invitational, Flushing Meadow, N.Y.
- October 18-21 – USTA/ITA Northeast Regionals, Charlottesville, Va.
No team scoring
DOUBLES FLIGHT 1
Dorothy Safron/Carmen Lai (UD) def. Amanda Kusnierz/Rocine Moschella (Lafayette), 8-0
Safron/Lai (UD) def. Lea Winkler/Erin Bowsher (Drexel), 8-3
Olivia Heim/Kim Milla (UD) def. Caroline Nixon/Catherine Senoplous (Lafayette), 8-5
Zeynep Mafa/Marcela Rosales (Drexel) def. Heim/Milla, 8-6
DOUBLES FLIGHT 2
Christina Harrington/Abby Martinez (UD) def. Tori Almeida/Lauren Tracy (Lafayette), 8-1
Harrington/Martinez (UD) def. Claire Minnoe/Alex Zachem (SJU), 8-1