Troy Beneck Picks Up Third Straight Win at Penn Invitational
PHILADELPHIA, Pa. – Senior Troy Beneck (Wilmington, Del.) proved to be the bright spot for the Blue Hens Saturday as he picked up the team’s lone singles victory against Temple at the Penn Invitational.
Beneck notched his third straight victory with a 6-5 (8), 4-6 (5) Flight 2 win over Hernan Vasconez.
Junior Evan Andrews (York, Pa.) teamed up with freshman Zack Niklaus (Cos Cob, Conn.) for a 6-5 (7) doubles win against Hicham Beklssir and Maros Januvka. The victory marked the second straight for the duo.
· UD takes on Binghamton at 9 a.m. Sunday to wrap up the Penn Invitational.
· Troy Beneck has won three straight matches.
· Beneck is third in UD history with a career record of 59-31. Chris Hincker (2007-11) is in second with a career mark of 69-33.
· Evan Andrews and Zack Niklaus have won two straight matches.
· Sept. 27-29 – Delaware at Penn Tournament, Philadelphia, Pa.
· Oct. 5-6 – Delaware at Lehigh Tournament, Bethlehem, Pa.
· Oct. 17-22 – Delaware at USTA/ITA Atlantic Regional at University of Virginia, Charlottesville, Va.
No team scoring
1. Sam Rundle/Vineet Naran (TU) def. Troy Beneck/Adam Lawton (UD), 6-2
2. Evan Andrews/Zack Niklaus (UD) def. Hicham Belkssir/Maros Januvka (TU), 6-5 (7)
3. Santiago Canete/Nicolas Paulus (TU) def. Tyler Flematti/Tim Puterio (UD), 6-1
1. Canete (TU) def. Lawton (UD), 6-3, 6-0
2. Beneck (UD) def. Hernan Vasconez (TU), 6-5 (8), 4-6 (5)
3. Paulus (TU) def. Mike Furr (UD), 6-2, 6-4
4. Belkssir (TU) def. Niklaus (UD), 6-3, 6-4
5. Rundle (TU) def. Andrews (UD), 6-3, 6-5 (3)
6. Naran (TU) def. Puterio (UD), 6-4, 3-6 (5)