Delaware Menís Tennis Finishes Fall Team Play at Lehigh Invitational
BETHLEHEM, Pa. – The University of Delaware men’s tennis squad wrapped up play at the Lehigh Fall Invitational Sunday by picking up eight total doubles and singles victories against Loyola, Bucknell and Temple.
The Blue Hens led off the day with three doubles victories over Loyola. Seniors Adam Lawton (Estepona, Spain) and Troy Beneck (Wilmington, Del.) opened with an 8-5 victory against Connor Lisco and Harrison Kunkel. The duo also defeated Temple’s Hicham Belkssir and Hernan Vasconez, 8-1, later in the day.
In flight two singles action against Temple, Beneck picked up his third straight win in a 6-2, 6-2 victory against Santiago Canete.
Lawton won his second straight with a 6-2, 6-3 flight one victory over Temple’s Nicolas Paulus.
Also earning singles victories on the day were junior Evan Andrews (York, Pa.) and Dantzler.
· Adam Lawton is 52-21 all-time in doubles action at Delaware, good for fifth all-time in UD history. Sam Barrer (2006-10) is fourth with a mark of 53-36.
· Lawton holds a 51-17 career singles record, putting him sixth all-time in Delaware history. Sam Barrer (2006-10) is fifth with a mark of 56-38.
· Lawton and Troy Beneck are 51-19 all-time in doubles, a record for Delaware men’s tennis.
· Beneck is the Delaware career doubles wins leader with a mark of 67-28.
· Lawton and Beneck are amidst a three-match winning streak.
· Beneck has also won three straight singles matches.
· Alex Sweet and Tyler Flematti teamed up for their first career doubles victory.
· Sweet moved to 12-10 all-time in UD doubles.
· Oct. 17-22 – USTA/ITA Atlantic Regional at University of Virginia, Charlottesville, Va.
· Fall season complete.
No team scoring
DELAWARE VS. LOYOLA
1. Adam Lawton/Troy Beneck (UD) def. Connor Lisco/Harrison Kunkel (Loyola), 8-5
2. Jordan Kuchta/Greg Olesnycky (Loyola) def. Evan Andrews/Tim Puterio (UD),
3. Alex Castro/Conor Skelton (Loyola) def. Zack Niklaus/Roy Cheng (UD), 8-4
4. Alex Sweet/Tyler Flematti (UD) def. Max Shanbrom/Matt Bejian (Loyola), 8-1
5. Blake Dantzler/Mike Furr (UD) def. Eric Michaelis/John Ferruzzi (Loyola), 8-2
DELAWARE VS. BUCKNELL/TEMPLE
1. Adam Lawton/Troy Beneck (UD) def. Hicham Belkssir/Hernan Vasconez (Temple), 8-1
2. Santiago Canete/Nicolas Paulus (Temple) def. Evan Andrews/Tim Puterio (UD), 8-5
1. Adam Lawton (UD) def. Nicolas Paulus (Temple), 6-2, 6-3
2. Troy Beneck (UD) def. Santiago Canete (Temple), 6-2, 6-2
3. Hicham Belkssir (Temple) def. Mike Furr (UD), 6-2, 6-4
4. Hernan Vasconez (Temple) def. Zack Niklaus (UD), 6-7 (6), 6-2, 10-6
5. Evan Andrews (UD) def. Octavio Canibe (Bucknell), 0-6, 6-3, 14-12
6. Kyle Rosen (Bucknell) def. Tyler Flematti (UD), 6-1, 6-4
7. Chris Tortora (Bucknell) def. Roy Cheng (UD),
8. Blake Dantzler (UD) def. Jonathan DeFrancesch (Bucknell), 6-3, 4-6, 13-11
9. Scott Bernstein (Bucknell) def. Tim Puterio (UD), 6-4, 4-6, 10-4