Courtni Green Registers Career Day as Blue Hens Kick Off Season With 64-43 Win at Rhode Island
KINGSTON, R.I. – Despite losing seven seniors to graduation, the University of Delaware women’s basketball team didn’t skip a beat Friday evening as the Blue Hens defeated the University of Rhode Island, 64-43, at the Thomas M. Ryan Center in their season opener.
In total, four different Blue Hens recorded double figure scoring nights while sophomore guard Courtni Green (Winchester, Va.) stepped up immediately for UD (1-0) as she collected career highs of 15 points and 13 rebounds for her first career double double. She previously scored eight points against Towson on Jan. 20.
Senior Kelsey Buchanan (South Riding, Va.) also tallied a career-best 15 points for the Hens while freshman Shanice Johnson (Chester, Pa.) and redshirt sophomore Joy Caracciolo (Manassas, Va.) each posted 11 point in their UD debut.
Delaware opened the game with a 13-1 lead and never looked back as they would eventually go up by as much as 22 in the contest. Rhody never came within less than double figures in the remainder of the game.
Brianna Thomas tallied 10 points for the Rams (0-1).
Head Coach Tina Martin – “I’m really proud of this team tonight, they had great intensity out there. Courtni worked real hard in the off-season and that was on display tonight. We have a lot to work on, but I’m very proud of this squad.”
Sophomore Guard Courtni Green – “It was a great atmosphere in the locker room tonight, but we can only celebrate for so long because once we get back to campus, it’s time to prepare for Tuesday’s game.”
[On her first career double double]: “Even though I’m small, it’s still important that I crash the glass and get the ball when I can. The coaches have really been working with me on my shooting and I’m learning that I have to take it when I can.”
· Delaware has now won 23 straight regular season contests dating to December 2012.
· The Blue Hens are 23-20 all-time in season openers.
· Delaware is now 4-1 over Rhody all-time and has won four straight.
· UD held URI without a field goal for the first 6:25 of the game.
· Delaware led by as much as 22 in the game.
· Tina Martin holds a career record of 342-181 (.654) in her 18 seasons with the Hens.
· Tuesday, Nov. 12 – Temple at Delaware – 7 p.m. – Bob Carpenter Center (Newark, Del.)
· Friday, Nov. 15 – Wake Forest at Delaware – 8 p.m. – Bob Carpenter Center (Newark, Del.)
· Tuesday, Nov. 19 – Monmouth at Delaware – 7 p.m. – Bob Carpenter Center (Newark, Del.)