UD Menís Tennis Collects Win Over Howard in Spring Opener
BETHANY BEACH, Del. – The University of Delaware men’s tennis team opened the spring season in astounding fashion Sunday as the Blue Hens swept Howard University, 7-0, at Sea Colony Resort.
Seniors Adam Lawton (Estepona, Spain) and Troy Beneck (Wilmington, Del.) earned a top spot doubles victory for the Blue Hens (1-0) with an 8-4 win over Myron Davis and William Jones. Junior Evan Andrews (York, Pa.) and sophomore Mike Furr (Kennett Square, Pa.) also earned an 8-4 win in No. 2 doubles against Ismale Kaouache and Laguna Foster. Things weren’t quite as close in No. 3 doubles as sophomores Alex Sweet (Naples, Fla.) and Tim Puterio (Kingston, R.I.) defeated Nile Kendall and Nico Sorrell by a score of 8-2.
Beneck led off in top flight singles action with a 6-2, 6-3 win vs. Jones while Lawton posed the lone three-set match of the day in a close 3-6, 6-3, 10-8 victory against Kaouache.
In No. 3 singles, Furr defeated Davis, 6-2, 6-2, while Andrews picked up a 6-1, 6-3 win over Foster in the fourth flight.
Sweet had possibly the most dominating singles win of the day with his 6-0, 6-1 victory in the fifth slot against Kendall.
Freshman Roy Cheng (Shatin, Hong Kong) continued the winning ways with a 6-1, 6-3 win vs. Sorrell.
With the loss, Howard falls to 0-3 on the season.
Head Coach Laura Travis – “Our tri-captain leadership of Troy Beneck, Adam Lawton and Evan Andrews really set the tone today and everyone else followed suit. We are very fortunate to have played at the beautifully renovated Sea Colony Resort and want to thank everyone involved for a terrific day.”
· Evan Andrews and Alex Sweet have each won two straight matches.
· Troy Beneck is in third place all-time with 65 career singles victories. Chris Hincker (2007-11) is second with a career mark of 69-33.
· Adam Lawton is seventh in Delaware history with a career record of 54-18. Sam Barrer (2006-10) is sixth at 56-38.
· Lawton is 53-22 all-time in doubles play, a mark that ties him for fourth in school history with Barrer, who finished his career with a mark of 53-36.
· Saturday, Feb. 1 – Delaware at Loyola – 6:30 p.m. – Green Spring Racquet Club (Sparks, Md.)
· Saturday, Feb. 8 – Quinnipiac at Delaware – 6:30 p.m. – Elkton Indoor Tennis Courts (Elkton, Md.)
· Sunday, Feb. 9 – Villanova at Delaware – 3 p.m. – DuPont Country Club (Wilmington, Del.)