University of Delaware Menís Tennis Falls in Heartbreaker to Quinnipiac
ELKTON, Md. – The University of Delaware men’s tennis team picked up its first loss of the season Saturday with a heart-breaking 4-3 defeat at the hands of Quinnipiac University at Elkton Indoor Tennis.
The Blue Hens (2-1) swept all three doubles matches to earn the first team point of the day.
In singles action, senior Troy Beneck (Wilmington, Del.) collected the team’s first win with a 6-2, 6-1 victory over Kei Ezaka in the top flight.
Sophomore Alex Sweet (Naples, Fla.) came from behind to earn a 4-6, 6-3, 10-7 win against Ryoma Haraguchi in No. 5 singles to tie the team points at 3-3.
In the final contest of the afternoon, freshman Roy Cheng (Shatin, Hong Kong) suffered from cramping and fell just short of Carlos Fernandez, 6-3, 6-5 (5), to allow the Bobcats (5-2) to take the team victory, 4-3.
· Troy Beneck and Alex Sweet have each won three straight singles matches.
· Beneck is in third place all-time with 67 career singles victories. Chris Hincker (2007-11) is second with a career mark of 69-33.
· Adam Lawton is seventh in Delaware history with a career record of 55-19. Sam Barrer (2006-10) is sixth at 56-38.
· Lawton is 55-22 all-time in doubles play, a mark that places him fourth all-time in school history. Current associate head coach Austin Longacre is third all-time with a mark of 56-41.
· Beneck is the first Delaware player to reach 70 career doubles wins.
· Lawton and Beneck have won three straight doubles matches.
· Zack Niklaus and Sweet have also won three consecutive doubles matches.
Sunday, Feb. 9 – Villanova at Delaware – 3 p.m. – DuPont Country Club (Wilmington, Del.) – POSTPONED
· Saturday, Feb. 15 – Saint Joseph’s at Delaware – 6:30 p.m. – Elkton Indoor Tennis (Elkton, Md.)
· Saturday, Feb. 22 – Delaware at Swarthmore – 1 p.m. – Swarthmore, Pa.