Chelsea Fay Joins 100 Goal Club as Delaware Women’s Lacrosse Defeats Temple, 16-9, for Fourth Straight Win
PHILADELPHIA, Pa. – Chelsea Fay (West Chester, Pa.) collected her 100th career goal Saturday afternoon as the University of Delaware women’s lacrosse team tallied its fourth straight victory by defeating Temple, 16-9, at Geasey Field.
Fay posted five points on two goals and three assists for the Blue Hens, who improved to 5-3 on the year. The senior has now recorded at least one goal in 34 consecutive games. With her five points against the Owls, Fay sits with 117 career points, a mark that ties for 22nd all-time in program history.
Fay was just one of three Hens to collect at least five points Saturday as sophomore Casey Lyons (Georgetown, Ontario, Canada) posted seven points on two goals and five assists while junior Caitlin McCartney (Doylestown, Pa.) led all players with five goals. Lyons recorded seven points for the second straight game and has now registered at least five points in each of the last four games.
McCartney also controlled a game-best six draws to tie a career-high, set against Temple on March 27, 2013.
Senior Tori Zorovich (Massapequa, N.Y.) earned her fourth win of the season after collecting 11 saves in all 60 minutes for Delaware.
The Blue Hens surged ahead early in the game by opening with an 8-1 advantage over the first 14 minutes and kept its lead throughout. Delaware went into the half with a 10-4 lead and never looked back en route to victory.
Carly Demato led the Owls with three goals and one assist. Jaqi Kakalecik posted six saves but allowed 16 goals for the loss.
Head Coach Kateri Linville
“The team is building momentum in our ability to compete and win. The next step for us is to build consistency in our ability to execute our game plan for the entire 60 minutes. We are all excited to see Chelsea Fay join the ranks of other great attackers who have left a legacy of scoring 100 career points for Delaware women’s lacrosse. Chelsea has worked hard to become a consistent finisher and a complete attacker. We are thrilled she was able to tally a total of five points on the day she scored her 100th career goal.”
· Delaware has won four straight games.
· UD has won eight of the last nine contests against Temple while the Owls hold the all-time series advantage at 17-14.
· The Blue Hens have outscored their last four opponents, 62-27.
· Casey Lyons has tallied total of 25 points over the last four games.
· Caitlin McCartney has scored at least one point in 27 straight games.
· Wednesday, March 19 – Monmouth at Delaware – 6 p.m. – Delaware Stadium (Newark, Del.) – Senior Night
· Saturday, March 22 – Delaware at George Washington – 1 p.m. – GW Lacrosse Field (Washington, D.C.)
· Sunday, March 30 – Delaware at No. 17 Towson* - 1 p.m. – Johnny Unitas Stadium (Towson, Md.)