Beneck and Lawton Victorious; University of Delaware Men’s Tennis Defeated by Saint Joseph’s, 5-2
NEWARK, Del. – Playing at the Delaware Field House Outdoor Courts for the first time this spring, the University of Delaware men’s tennis team fell to a tough Saint Joseph’s squad, 5-2, Thursday afternoon.
Beneck followed with a 6-2, 6-2 win against Sierra for his third straight singles victory.
Lawton fought a battle with Pierre Brondeau in the second flight and pulled out a 5-7, 6-2, 6-2 win, also for his third straight of the season.
With the loss, the Blue Hens fall to 3-6 on the season while the Hawks improved to 9-2 overall.
Head Coach Laura Travis
“St. Joe’s is a very deep squad and in the long run, we were unable to pick up the win despite great performances for our guys.”
· Mike Furr snapped a two-match winning streak.
· Adam Lawton holds an all-time career record of 59-20, good for fourth all-time in Delaware history.
· Lawton moved into second all-time in doubles action with a career record of 60-23.
· Delaware is 38-36 in doubles play this season.
· Sunday, March 23 – Bucknell at Delaware – 3 p.m. – DuPont Country Club (Wilmington, Del.)
· Saturday, March 29 – Delaware at William & Mary* - 4 p.m. – Williamsburg, Va.
· Wednesday, April 2 – Delaware at James Madison* - 2 p.m. – Harrisonburg, Va.