Blue Hens Battle Bucknell in 5-2 Win Sunday
WILMINGTON, Del. – The University of Delaware men’s tennis team earned a 5-2 victory over Bucknell University Sunday afternoon at DuPont Country Club.
The Blue Hens (4-6) opened the afternoon by winning the doubles points following victories from seniors Troy Beneck (Wilmington, Del.) and Adam Lawton (Estepona, Spain) in the top flight and junior Evan Andrews (York, Pa.) and sophomore Mike Furr (Kennett Square, Pa.) in the No. 2 spot.
Lawton then cruised to a 6-3, 6-1 win over Aidan Lynch in No. 2 singles while Andrews defeated Bryan Adams in No. 3 singles, 6-4, 6-2.
In the final two matches of the afternoon, Beneck came from behind to outlast Nick Bybel, 1-6, 6-1, 6-4, in the top spot before Furr battled and eventually won a heated match against Octavio Canibe, 6-4, 7-6 (4).
Head Coach Laura Travis
“We played some great matches again today. Our top doubles teams played at a high level once again.”
Senior Troy Beneck
“We played well today. When I’m in a tight situation, I’m able to block out everything around me and just focus on the match and the next point. Adam and I both served very well in our doubles match today and I’m happy with our outcome.”
Senior Adam Lawton
“We’ve been playing really good teams and in order for us to win, we have to keep up our consistency.”
· Troy Beneck and Adam Lawton have each won four straight singles matches.
· The pair has also won four consecutive doubles matches.
· Lawton earned his 60th career singles victory in his third season with the Blue Hens, a mark that just three other players (Beneck, Chris Hincker and Austin Longacre) have accomplished in their careers.
· Delaware is 40-36 in doubles play this season.
· Saturday, March 29 – Delaware at William & Mary* - 4 p.m. – Williamsburg, Va.
· Wednesday, April 2 – Delaware at James Madison* - 2 p.m. – Harrisonburg, Va.
· Saturday, April 5 – Delaware at George Mason – Noon – Fairfax, Va.