Delaware Menís Tennis Drops 6-1 CAA Match at William & Mary
WILLIAMSBURG, Va. – The University of Delaware men’s tennis team was unable to knock off one of the conference’s top teams Saturday afternoon as the Blue Hens dropped a 6-1 Colonial Athletic Association match to William & Mary at the McCormack-Nagelsen Tennis Center.
The Tribe (13-7, 2-0 CAA) jumped out to the early lead by collecting the doubles team point and followed with five straight singles wins over the Hens (4-7, 0-2 CAA).
Delaware senior Adam Lawton (Estepona, Spain) provided the lone bright spot of the day with an astounding 6-3, 3-6, 14-12 win over Will Juggins in No. 2 singles where he fought off four match points.
Lawton also paired with classmate Troy Beneck (Wilmington, Del.) in defeating Aaron Chaffee and Juggins, 8-6, in top flight doubles.
· Adam Lawton has posted a team-best five consecutive singles victories. He now holds a career record of 61-20, good for fourth in school history.
· Troy Beneck snapped a four-match winning streak.
· Lawton and Beneck have won five straight doubles matches.
· The duo are 20-5 on the year to remain the lone doubles team in school history to reach 20-wins in a single season and have now done so in back-to-back years.
· Wednesday, April 2 – Delaware at James Madison* - 2 p.m. – Harrisonburg, Va.
· Saturday, April 5 – Delaware at George Mason – Noon – Fairfax, Va.
· Saturday, April 12 – Drexel at Delaware* – Noon – Delaware Field House Outdoor Courts (Newark, Del.)