Delaware Falls Short in CAA Quarterfinals to College of Charleston, 4-0
WILLIAMSBURG, Va. – The University of Delaware men’s tennis team’s season was cut short Friday morning as second-seeded College of Charleston defeated the seventh-seeded Blue Hens, 4-0, in the Colonial Athletic Association Quarterfinals at Millie West Tennis Facility.
The Cougars (16-5) quickly won the doubles point by picking up wins in the second and third flights over the Blue Hens (4-11).
The story was much the same in singles play as CofC claimed the No. 6, No. 5 and No. 4 spots in succession.
Due to the nature of the tournament and stopping all matches once the fourth team point is clinched, seniors Troy Beneck (Wilmington, Del.) and Adam Lawton (Estepona, Spain) in addition to junior Evan Andrews (York, Pa.) were unable to complete their matches.
Beneck, the all-time Delaware career wins leader, was in a third-set tiebreaker against Brice Allanic in top-flight action, 6-4, 1-6, 1-0.
In No. 2 singles, Lawton was down, 7-6 (7-3), 2-1, to CAA Rookie of the Year Rodrigo Encinas while Andrews was in a close No. 3 match, 7-5, 5-5, against Crescente Lesser.
Head coach Laura Travis
“Today we had our best team performance of the year against an excellent team. We will definitely miss Troy [Beneck] and Adam [Lawton], but the underclassmen demonstrated all of the things that we have been working on for improvement in the future.”
· With a season record of 23-7, Troy Beneck ranks second in single-season school history.
· Adam Lawton narrowly missed the second 20-win season of his career, finishing with a record of 19-9.
· Beneck and Lawton finished the year with a combined 42-16 singles record.
· Beneck and Lawton were recognized Thursday evening as All-CAA First Team doubles and All-CAA Second Team singles honorees.
· Tim Puterio snapped a career-best three straight winning streak.
· Season complete.