BALTIMORE, Md. – Through the first seven games of the 2018 season, one thing is clear. The University of Delaware men’s lacrosse team can play with anyone.

That was evident once again on Saturday when the Blue Hens battled 10th-ranked Johns Hopkins for 50 minutes, but a big fourth quarter by the Blue Jays propelled them to a 14-8 victory on a cold Saturday afternoon in Baltimore.

“I was proud of the effort our guys put forth today, I thought we really hustled and played hard,” Head Coach Ben DeLuca said. “Hopkins is an incredibly talented and well-coached team. There’s a reason they’re consistently among the best in the country. We really competed and battled them for 45 minutes.”

Sophomore Matt DeLuca was outstanding yet again, piling up 13 saves on the day and keeping the Blue Jays at bay for nearly the entire game. Entering the game, Hopkins was averaging nearly 13 goals a game, ranking in the top-five in the country in that category. JHU had just nine goals in the first 50 minutes of action.

Offensively, junior Joe Eisele and sophomores Charlie Kitchen and Bryce Reid all had multi-goal performances.

“I thought Matt [DeLuca] had a really strong day today and gave a chance to stay in the game with some key saves in the second half,” Ben DeLuca added. “We ended up having to play defense a little too much in the fourth quarter and Hopkins was able to capatlize.”

Hopkins took a lead five minutes into the game, but Delaware turned the tables quickly as Kitchen made a move to score his 14th goal of the year and less than three minutes later Eisele powered a man-up goal home off an assist from Will Hirschmann.

With time winding down in the first, senior Jackson Finigan made a great move and fired one into the back of the net for his first goal of the season and a 3-1 Blue Hen lead.

Reid added to that with a goal three minutes into the second, but Hopkins responded with four goals of their own in the next four minutes to grab a 5-4 lead, which they held heading into halftime.

Delaware would once again answer with Eisele getting his second of the day two minutes into the second half to tie things up at 5-5.

After JHU got one back, senior Dean DiSimone unleashed his 13th goal of the year to tie things up and less than three minutes later Kitchen gave the Blue Hens a 7-6 lead with his second of the day.

Once again Hopkins answered, but Reid’s second of the day gave Delaware an 8-7 lead with a minute left in the third quarter.

JHU got the tying goal with less than five seconds left in the third and took momentum from there, scoring six unanswered in the fourth quarter to take control and secure the 14-8 win.

Delaware returns to action next Saturday when they wrap up their three-game road swing with a trip to Rutgers. Game time in Piscataway, N.J. is set for 7 p.m.