Delaware Menís Soccer Shuts Out Iona 3-0 on the Road
NEW ROCHELLE, N.Y. – The University of Delaware men's soccer team earned its fourth straight win Wednesday afternoon as the Blue Hens shutout Iona, 3-0 at Mazzella Field.
Sophomore forward Joe Dipre led the Blue Hen effort with two goals. The multi-goal performance is the first of the season for the forward. Dipre's first goal was assisted by Jamie Martinez in the second minute of the first half as Dipre blasted a shot to the right of the Iona keeper. Less than 50 minutes later, Dipre scored his second goal of the game after a pass from freshman forward Guillermo Delgado. Dipre has now registered four goals this season for Delaware.
Between Dipre's two tallies, freshman forward Jaime Martinez scored a goal of his own in the 44th minute of play. Delgado also passed out the only helper on Martinez's third goal of the season.
Martinez and Delgado each notched multi-point performances against the Gaels. Today's contest marks the first time this season three separate Blue Hens have registered multiple points in the same match. The multi-point performance is Dipre and Martinez's second of the year while Delgado has now four multiple point games.
Sophomore keeper Bill Boyer saw his first action of the season today at Iona. Boyer stopped all four shots he faced while earning his first shutout and victory of 2013.
"Iona was one of the better soccer teams we have faced this season," said head coach Ian Hennessy. "We were flattered to be ahead 2-0 at the half and we did well to shift gears to improve the quality of play in the second half. I am happy that as a group we have shown the mental wherewithal to be 7-1 at this point of the season."
Delaware is now 7-1-0 on the season while Iona falls to 2-5-1.
- The last time Delaware started its season 7-1 was prior to 1974
- The Blue Hens have scored at least three goals on six different occasions this season
- Delaware has outscored its opponents 23-12 in eight matches
- Delgado leads the squad in points (23) and goals (10)
- Dipre ranks second in goals with 4 and in points with ten
- Martinez has registered 9 points this year
- The Blue Hens return to the pitch Tuesday, Oct. 1 when they travel to nationally ranked UMBC