Blue Hens Top CAA Opponent Drexel, 1-0
Newark, Del. -- The University of Delaware women’s soccer team earned its third Colonial Athletic Association (CAA) victory of the season Friday evening at Delaware Mini-Stadium as the Blue Hens defeated Drexel, 1-0.
For the second time in the two games sophomore Emily Market proved to be the driving force for Delaware as she scored her second straight game-winning goal. Market scored her second goal of the season at the 65:15 mark to give the Blue Hens a 1-0 lead over Drexel. Senior midfielder Chelsea Duffy (at right) led Market with a perfect pass that allowed her to dribble through Dragon defenders and put a shot into the right side of the net.
The first half was evenly played as both squads tallied five shots in the first 45 minutes of action.
The second half proved to be most successful for Delaware as the Hens owned a 7-2 shot advantage over Drexel and did not allowed a Dragon corner in the second 45 minutes of play.
Senior Jessica Levy earned the start between the posts for Delaware. Levy tallied three saves in the win. The keeper is now 3-2-1 in CAA play and owns an overall 8-5-1 record.
"What an exciting night for the team," said Delaware head coach Scott Grzenda. "We had a great crowd and tons of support from the community. We competed very well, especially in the second half. This win sets us up for the playoffs. We'll take a couple days off to get healthy then we need to take care of things next weekend. Hopefully we will get the results we need down south and solidify a home contest."
With the victory Delaware is now 9-6-1 on the year and 3-2-1 in conference play. The Dragons fall to 1-5-0 in CAA contests with a 5-10-1 overall record.
- Levy registered her 5th shutout of the season against Drexel
- Levy now ranks 6th in Delaware program history with 10.1 career shutouts and 5th in career wins with 16
- Market’s three career goals have all been game-winners
- Duffy now leads the team in assists this season with four
- The Blue Hens currently own a three game unbeaten streak
- Delaware returns to the pitch Friday, Oct. 25 at league newcomer College of Charleston for a 7 p.m. start.