Northeastern Volleyball Uses Block Advantage To Post 3-1 Victory Over University of Delaware
NEWARK, Del. -- The Northeastern University volleyball team posted 21 blocks as the Huskies recorded a 3-1 victory over the University of Delaware Friday night at the Bob Carpenter Center.
The Huskies, who won their second consecutive match while improving to 9-7 overall and 2-1 in the Colonial Athletic Association, notched the victory by set scores of 25-15, 24-26, 25-19, 25-14. The Blue Hens, who dropped to 9-7 overall and 1-1 in league play, had their two-match winning streak snapped.
Nichole Kurz led Northeastern’s block party with 15 of her own, while Hannah Gibeau had six blocks to go with 17 a match-high 17 kills. Jamie Bredahl and Ina Kamenova combined for 43 assists, while Natalia Skiba made 23 digs for the Huskies.
UD sophomore Mackenzie Olsen posted a double-double with 28 assists and 15 digs to pace Delaware, while fellow sophomore Katie Hillman recorded a team-best 10 kills on the evening. Ariel Shonk notched 27 digs for the Blue Hens, while Jill Meyers contributed six blocks.
The opening set was even at 9-9, before Northeastern used an 11-1 spurt to take control. The second period was tightly contested, but after the teams were knotted at 24-24, a Huskies attack error and a kill by Hillman brought the Blue Hens even at a set apiece. However Northeastern exploded for a 12-1 run to take the third set, and closed the match with an 11-2 spurt in the fourth to post the victory.
• Delaware had its five-match home winning streak snapped, dating back to last season
• Northeastern snapped a five-match losing skid at Delaware
• Chandler Bryant had nine kills for UD and hit a team-best .273 for the match
• Mackenzie Olsen’s 15 digs were one shy of her season-high
• All 14 Blue Hens saw action during the match
• Delaware is back home Saturday to host Hofstra at 7 p.m.