Delaware Field Hockey Clinches Share of CAA Regular Season Title With 3-0 Victory Over Northeastern
DEDHAM, Mass. – The University of Delaware field hockey team picked up at least a share of the Colonial Athletic Association regular season title Sunday as the Blue Hens defeated Northeastern University, 3-0, at Dedham Field for its fifth shutout of the season.
With the win, Delaware remains the lone unbeaten team in CAA action as the Hens move to 12-4 overall and 5-0 in league play. Northeastern falls to 6-10 overall and 2-2 in the CAA.
UD will vie for the CAA regular season crown Friday at Drexel. The Dragons are currently 12-5 overall and 3-1 in the CAA. With a win at Drexel, the Blue Hens will win the CAA regular season title outright. With a loss and a Drexel win at Towson next Sunday, both teams will finish 5-1 and be named regular season co-champions.
Fellow senior Toni Popinko (Oxford, N.J.) quickly tallied another Delaware goal in the 29th minute as she took NU goalie Becky Garner one-on-one down the left side to go up, 2-0.
Freshman Esmée Peet (Zeewolde, The Netherlands) put the nail in the coffin with less than three minutes remaining in the game on a penalty stroke to mark the final score of 3-0.
Senior Sarah Scher (Pocomoke City, Md.) collected one save in the win while Garner tallied eight saves with three goals allowed for the Huskies.
Head Coach Rolf van de Kerkhof – ““It is a great day to be a Blue Hen field hockey player, staff member, alumnus and fan as our program secured at least a share of the CAA Regular Season Championship. I am very excited and happy for our team and staff and extremely proud of them on how they made a true commitment to themselves, each other and our Blue Hen field hockey program these past nine months. As a team we are playing our best hockey at this time in our season and are looking forward to further pursing our 2013 team goals and compete for Delaware pride next weekend.”
· Delaware has never won the CAA regular season title. The Blue Hens finished second in 2009 and third in 2004, but won the tournament championship both seasons.
· Delaware has never started CAA play 5-0; however, in 1998, the Blue Hens started America East competition with a 6-0 record while finishing 6-2. UD completed seven seasons from 1982-1990 with unbeaten records in the East Coast Conference.
· The last time Delaware won at least five games in CAA play came in 2004 when UD finished 5-2 and won the league crown.
· Today’s game marked the second straight and fifth overall shutout of the season for Delaware.
· Delaware has now reached the 12-win mark for the 18th time in 43 seasons of play.
· With the win, UD snapped a two-game losing streak to Northeastern.
· With two points against NU, Esmée Peet tied the UD single-season record for a freshman with 24 points. Current junior Kelsey McKee (2011) and Leah Geib (2001) also hold this mark.
· Sophomore Jacki Coveleski saw a familiar face today as her sister, Kaci, is a starting back for the Huskies.
· Dating to last season, senior goalie Sarah Scher has started 21 straight games for Delaware. She has played all 1123:05 minutes for the Blue Hens this season and has collected 69 saves with 24 goals allowed. Scher is 13th in Delaware history with 156 career saves. Leslie Saylor (1989-90) is 12th all-time with 158 saves.
· Sophomore Michaela Patzner now has 18 career tallies, a mark good for second on the active roster. Junior Kelsey McKee has posted 20 career goals while senior Kasey Prettyman is now third with 17.
· Friday, Nov. 1 – Delaware at Drexel* - 7 p.m. – Buckley Field (Philadelphia, Pa.)
· Sunday, Nov. 3 – Villanova at Delaware – 1 p.m. – Rullo Stadium (Newark, Del.) – Senior Day
· Friday, Nov. 8 – 2013 CAA Field Hockey Championship – Opponent and Location TBA