Blue Hens Cruise by Loyola, 6-1, in Men's Tennis Action
SPARKS, Md. – In the second duals match of the spring season, the University of Delaware men’s tennis squad earned a 6-1 victory over Loyola University Saturday evening at the Greenspring Racquet Club.
The Blue Hens (2-0) led off the day with two doubles wins to pick up the team point. Seniors Adam Lawton (Estepona, Spain) and Troy Beneck (Wilmington, Del.) defeated Harrison Kunkel and Connor Lisco, 8-3, in the top doubles slot while sophomores Alex Sweet (Naples, Fla.) and Tim Puterio (Kingston, R.I.) slipped past Connor Pietrak and Alex Castro, 8-6.
Junior Evan Andrews (York, Pa.) gave Delaware its first singles win of the evening with a 6-1, 6-2 victory over Lisco in the third flight. Beneck followed with the day’s largest margin of victory with a 6-1, 6-0 top spot win against Pietrak.
Lawton secured the team win for the Hens with a 6-3, 6-3 victory over Kunkel in No. 2 singles to give Delaware the 4-0 advantage versus Loyola (3-1), who was previously unbeaten in duals matches this season.
Puterio collected his first win of the spring slate with a 6-3, 6-3 victory against Max Shanbrom in No. 6 singles action while freshman Zack Niklaus (Cos Cobb, Conn.) wrapped up the day with a tight 6-5 (5), 6-5 (6) win over Jordan Kuchta in the fifth flight.
· Evan Andrews leads the Blue Hens with a three-match winning streak.
· Troy Beneck in third place all-time with 66 career singles victories. Chris Hincker (2007-11) is second with a career mark of 69-33.
· Adam Lawton is seventh in Delaware history with a career record of 55-18. Sam Barrer (2006-10) is sixth at 56-38.
· Beneck and Lawton have each won two straight individuals matches.
· Delaware is 53-60 in singles action this year.
· Lawton is 54-22 all-time in doubles play, a mark that moves him to fourth in school history. Current Delaware associate head coach Austin Longacre is third on the list with a record of 56-41 set from 2006-10.
· The Blue Hens are 29-25 in doubles play this season.
· Delaware has outscored opponents, 13-1, during the spring season.
· Saturday, Feb. 8 – Quinnipiac at Delaware – 6:30 p.m. – Elkton Indoor Tennis Courts (Elkton, Md.)
· Sunday, Feb. 9 – Villanova at Delaware – 3 p.m. – DuPont Country Club (Wilmington, Del.)
· Saturday, Feb. 15 – Saint Joseph’s at Delaware – 6:30 p.m. – Elkton Indoor Tennis Courts (Elkton, Md.)