Delaware Earns First Win of Season With 7-0 Sweep of Loyola
SPARKS, Md. – The University of Delaware women’s tennis team bounced back from a season-opening loss by sweeping Loyola University, 7-0, Saturday evening at the Greenspring Racquet Club.
With the win, the Blue Hens moved to 1-1 in duals matches this season while the Greyhounds fall to 1-1 overall.
Sophomore Danea Jonjic’ (Split, Croatia) and junior Kim Milla (Miguel Hidalgo, México) paired up for the largest margin of victory with an 8-2 doubles win over Ania Krawiec and Tiffany Ash to open the day. Sophomore Nataliya Naumova (Moscow, Russia) and senior Olivia Heim (Gibsonia, Pa.) followed with an 8-3 victory in No. 2 doubles while senior Dorothy Safron (New York, N.Y.) and sophomore Carmen Lai (Shatin, Hong Kong) picked up an 8-6 win in the top flight.
Heim earned the first singles win of the evening with a 6-3, 6-0 victory against Ash in the No. 5 spot while Milla followed with a 6-4, 6-1 win in the sixth flight over Alexandra Billups.
Naumova recorded a 6-2, 6-2 win versus Olivia Ott in No. 4 singles action while Lai defeated Krawiec, 6-0, 6-1 in the third flight.
In No. 2 singles play, Safron collected a 6-3, 6-2 victory against Haleigh Morgus. Jonjic’ wrapped up the day’s events with a 6-5 (3), 6-4 win over Megan Hahn in the top slot.
· Carmen Lai leads the Blue Hens with a three-match winning streak.
· Dorothy Safron holds a career record of 65-36, a mark good for eighth in Delaware history. Elena Berry (2006-10) is seventh all-time with a record of 66-28.
· Olivia Heim has now tied Liz Perlow (2003-07) for 14th all-time with 55 career singles victories.
· Delaware improved to 50-45 in singles matches this season.
· The Blue Hens are 27-16 in doubles play.
· Sunday, Feb. 9 – Villanova at Delaware – 3 p.m. – DuPont Country Club (Wilmington, Del.)
· Saturday, Feb. 22 – Quinnipiac at Delaware – 6:30 p.m. – Elkton Indoor Tennis Courts (Elkton, Md.)
· Saturday, March 1 – Saint Joseph’s at Delaware – 6:30 p.m. – Elkton Indoor Tennis Courts (Elkton, Md.)