Blue Hens Outlast Quinnipiac, 5-2
ELKTON, Md. – The University of Delaware women’s tennis team captured the crucial team doubles point following a clutch performance from sophomore Danea Jonjic’ (Split, Croatia) and junior Kim Milla (México City, México) Saturday evening en route to a 5-2 victory over Quinnipiac at Elkton Indoor Tennis.
Jonjic’ and Milla fell behind in No. 3 doubles action before making adjustments and persevering to overtake Sophia Dzulynsky and Mary Chupa, 9-8 (7-5) to take team momentum and set the tone going into singles play. Earlier in the evening, senior Dorothy Safron (New York, N.Y.) paired with sophomore Carmen Lai (Shatin, Hong Kong) to defeat Rachel Horton and Sydney Young, 8-1, in top flight doubles.
In No. 2 singles, Safron paved the way with a 6-4, 6-3 win over Jacqueline Raynor.
Sophomore Nataliya Naumova (Moscow, Russia) collected a 6-5, 6-4 victory against Sydney Young in the fourth flight while Milla defeated Kelsi Oliphant, 6-4, 6-4 in the No. 6 slot.
Lai split the first two sets with Horton and went in to a 10-point tiebreaker. Lai then sealed the team victory for the Blue Hens after finishing Horton, 6-4, 4-6, 10-7.
With the win, Delaware improves to 2-1 overall while Quinnipiac falls to 2-4 on the season.
Head Coach Laura Travis
“Quinnipiac is a young, strong team. The atmosphere tonight exemplified what collegiate athletics is about – two evenly matched teams competing with all they have while being fair and sportsmanlike. Both squads represented themselves and their respective universities with a high level of integrity that should make everyone proud.”
“Everything about how to compete in this sport has started clicking and coming together for Kim in these last few weeks. She played the best match I have ever witnessed against a very strong opponent.”
· Delaware is 54-47 in singles play this season.
· The Blue Hens are 29-17 in doubles action.
· Carmen Lai has won four straight singles matches.
· Lai celebrated her 20th birthday today.
· Dorothy Safron holds a career record of 66-36, a mark that ties for seventh all-time with Elena Berry (2006-10).
· Kim Milla, Nataliya Naumova and Safron have each won two straight singles matches.
· Saturday, March 1 – Saint Joseph’s at Delaware – 6:30 p.m. – Elkton Indoor Courts (Elkton, Md.)
· Tuesday, March 4 – Delaware at Navy – 2:30 p.m. – Annapolis, Md.
· Saturday, March 8 – Delaware at Hofstra* - 5 p.m. – Point Set Indoor Tennis Club (Oceanside, N.Y.)