Northeastern Hands Delaware 54-53 Heartbreaking Loss in Final Seconds
BOSTON, Mass. – Jewel Tunstull knocked down a layup with five seconds left on the clock as Northeastern University came from behind to defeat the University of Delaware women’s basketball team, 54-53, at the Cabot Center to conclude regular season play for the Blue Hens.
With the loss, Delaware was presumed to fall out of second place in the Colonial Athletic Association, but fate would be on its side. Minutes following their loss to the Huskies, the Blue Hens (18-9, 10-6 CAA) learned of losses by Drexel and the College of Charleston to therefore clinch the second seed in the league standings and upcoming CAA Tournament.
Delaware, which led for the majority of the contest, was held without a single point for the final 5:28 as Northeastern (12-16, 6-9 CAA) finished the game on a 7-2 run.
Sophomore Courtni Green (Winchester, Va.) led the Blue Hens with 12 points, all tallied off of three-point baskets. Green added three steals and two assists for Delaware.
Redshirt sophomore Joy Caracciolo (Manassas, Va.) posted 11 points for UD in addition to six rebounds. Senior Kelsey Buchanan (South Riding, Va.) also collected six rebounds while registering nine points and four steals.
Freshman Erika Brown (Haledon, N.J.) dished out a game-high five assists while also recording six points.
Northeastern had four players score in double figures and were led by Samantha DeFreese’s 13 points and nine rebounds.
Head Coach Tina Martin
“Everything that could potentially go wrong in the finals minutes did go wrong for us. We’re a young team and we made some mistakes. Thankfully Drexel and Charleston lost as well and we will remain the second seed in the CAA. We have about a week and a half before the tournament and we’re going to take some time off. We’re mentally fatigued and we have to recapture our focus. I’m very proud of this team and they have worked hard to earn 18 wins and the second seed.”
· Delaware has won at least 18 games in each of the last four seasons and 12 of the last 14.
· The Blue Hens shot 16-of-25 (64 percent) from the field in the first half.
· The game featured six tied scores.
· Delaware led by as much as nine in the first half.
· Kelsey Buchanan knocked down the second three-pointer of her career with 13:25 to go in the game.
· UD has had at least two players score in double figures in all 27 games this season.
· With the loss, Northeastern snapped a 24-game losing streak to Delaware.
· The Blue Hens still hold the all-time series advantage of 31-11 over the Huskies.
· Friday, March 14 – CAA Tournament – #2 Delaware vs. #7 TBA – 5 p.m. – Show Place Arena (Upper Marlboro, Md.)
· Saturday, March 15 – (with win) – CAA Tournament Semifinals - #2 Delaware vs. Winner of Game 5 (#3 vs. #6) – Show Place Arena (Upper Marlboro, Md.)
· Sunday March 16 (with win) – CAA Tournament Championship Game – Noon – Show Place Arena (Upper Marlboro, Md.)