Kim Milla Captures Second Straight Win for Blue Hens in 4-3 Victory at Lehigh
BETHLEHEM, Pa. – In a match that came down to a third set at No. 5 singles, the University of Delaware women’s tennis team edged out its second straight opponent similar fashion Wednesday afternoon as the Blue Hens defeated Lehigh, 4-3, at the Lewis Tennis Center.
Junior Kim Milla (Mexico City, Mexico) rallied for a 5-7, 6-3, 7-5 victory over Jamie Campisi in the fifth flight to collect win for the Blue Hens, who improved to 5-5 on the year.
The Mountain Hawks (4-7) won the doubles point by taking two of the three matches, but Delaware responded by winning four singles matches.
Senior Olivia Heim (Gibsonia, Pa.) earned the first win for the Hens with a dominating 6-1, 6-1 victory against Jessica Graham in No. 4 singles.
Sophomore Carmen Lai (Shatin, Hong Kong) followed by defeating Abby Farrell in the second flight, 6-1, 6-2.
Lehigh bounced back to tie things at 2-2 before sophomore Danea Jonjic' (Split, Croatia) fought for a 1-6, 6-2, 6-4 win over Jenai Bilimoria in top flight singles action.
The Mountain Hawks tied the match again at 3-3, but Milla kept things alive for the Hens en route to victory.
Head Coach Laura Travis
“This was an unbelievable come-from-behind match. I am very proud of all of our ladies for sticking with it until the end.”
· Carmen Lai has won a team-best four straight matches while Olivia Heim has posted three straight wins.
· Heim is 59-43 during her four years in a Delaware uniform, a mark good for 12th in Delaware history. Megan Doran (2008-11) is 11th in the record books with 60 career victories.
· The Blue Hens are 72-70 in singles play and 37-29 in doubles action this season.
· Delaware has won two straight matches following a two-match losing streak.
· Sunday, March 30 – Delaware vs. UNCW* – Noon – Norfolk, Va.
· Tuesday, April 1 – Delaware at James Madison* – 2:30 p.m. – Harrisonburg, Va.
· Saturday, April 5 – Delaware at George Mason – Noon – Fairfax, Va.