Troy Beneck Captures 22nd Win of Season; Blue Hens Fall, 5-2, at George Mason
FAIRFAX, Va. – The University of Delaware men’s tennis team wrapped up non-conference action Saturday afternoon as the Blue Hens fell to George Mason University, 5-2, at the Mason Tennis Center.
Senior Troy Beneck (Wilmington, Del.) earned his 22nd singles win of the season with a 6-2, 7-5 victory over Joe Hill in top flight action.
Beneck also paired with classmate Adam Lawton (Estepona, Spain) to collect an 8-6 win against Hill and Jimmy Lange in No. 1 doubles play.
Sophomore Tim Puterio (Kingston, R.I.) defeated Tanner Baine, 6-4, 6-2, for a No. 6 singles win.
Lawton and sophomore Mike Furr (Kennett Square, Pa.) each took their opponents to three matches but were unable to finish in the end.
With the loss, the Blue Hens fall to 4-9 on the season while the Patriots improved to 10-6 overall.
Associate Head Coach Austin Longacre
“Troy [Beneck] and Tim [Puterio] really fought hard this afternoon to get wins. Mike [Furr] had a tough three-set match, but ultimately came up short.”
· Adam Lawton snapped a six-match winning streak.
· Tim Puterio has won two straight matches.
· Troy Beneck’s 22 wins ties for second all-time in Delaware single-season history.
· Beneck has played in 110 career singles matches, a new school record. Current associate head coach Austin Longacre competed in 108 matches during his time in a Delaware uniform.
· The Blue Hens are 42-40 in doubles matches this season.
· Delaware has dropped three straight matches.
· Saturday, April 12 – Drexel at Delaware* – Noon – Delaware Field House Outdoor Courts (Newark, Del.)
· April 18-20 – TBA – CAA Championships – Millie West Tennis Facility (Williamsburg, Va.)
· May 15-20 – TBA – NCAA Tournament – TBA