Rawstrom Natatorium at Carpenter Sports Building

Diving Well Pool

Sports at this Facility
  • Men's Swimming & Diving
  • Women's Swimming & Diving
Accessiblity
  • Accessible west entrance
  • Elevator
  • Accessible restrooms
  • Fully accessible pay phones (wheelchair-accessible and       TDD-equipped)For more information, please see Campus Accessibility.
Hours
  • Click here for updated Carpenter Sports Building hours
Directions to the Carpenter Sports Building
  • Carpenter Sports Building is located at the north end of campus between Main Street and Cleveland Avenue. From North College Avenue, enter the parking lot and proceed around Mechanical Hall.
Phone Numbers
  • Information Desk (302) 831-8600

ABOUT


The 15,000-square foot natatorium includes a 25-yard pool, a diving well with 1-meter, 3-meter, and platform boards, seating for approximately 700 fans, school and pool record boards, an electrical timing scoreboard, and offices. A view of the pool can be seen from windows located in the main corridor of the Carpenter Sports Building.
In addition to University of Delaware home meets, the Rawstrom Natatorium annually hosts the Delaware Secondary School Athletic Association state high school boys and girls swimming championships, regional amateur meets, and serves University employees and students and the community as a recreational facility. Delaware has also hosted numerous conference swimming championships, including the America East conference championship meets in 1992, 1994, 1996, 1998, and 2000.

HISTORY


The Harry W. Rawstrom Natatorium in Carpenter Sports Building has served as home for the University of Delaware men's swimming and diving team since the 1967-68 season and for the UD women's swimming and diving team since the 1971-72 campaign.
Rawstrom Natatorium is named in honor of Harry W. Rawstrom, who served as head coach of the Blue Hen men's swimming and diving team from 1946 until 1981. A member of the University of Delaware Athletics Hall of Fame and Delaware Sports Hall of Fame, he died in 1994. The pool was dedicated and named in his honor in 1991.