Both beginners and competitive racers are welcome to join! We will teach beginners the basics of sailing, racing rules and on-the-water etiquette. Experienced racers can compete in many MAISA (Mid Atlantic Intercollegiate Sailing Association) regattas up and down the eastern sea-board. With a fleet of Flying Juniors, Club 420s, a Laser, a Hobie Cat, and an O'Day, we have the boat you need.
- We require that members attend at least one practice between Monday and Thursday
- Race captains will choose members to compete in regattas based on practice attendance, availability, and experience
- No equipment is necessary, although it is encouraged to bring a bathing suit, towel and a change of clothes
- All members will have to pass a swim test of 5 minutes treading water with shoes on, as well as swimming a distance of 50 meters.
- We practice every day, Monday-Friday, weather permitting. We meet at 3:15pm at the Library Parking Lot to carpool to the North East River Yacht Club in North East, MD. We return to campus by 7pm.
The MAISA conference rankings were recently released for the 2014 season. UD Sailing improved their ranking by 14 places from 2013, moving up to 22 out of 53 teams in the conference. The conference includes teams with varsity recognition, coached teams, and national championship teams. This is the highest ranked UD Sailing team in the past several years and the team looks forward to building on their success in the future.
UDaily Story. The team hosted and won their own regatta, the McCurdy Memorial Regatta at their home site, the NorthEast River Yacht Club. They hosted 6 other teams from their MAISA conference, including Princeton, Ocean County College, Drexel, University of Maryland, University of Maryland Baltimore County, and Rutgers. The results of the regatta can be found on Techscore.