Buchanan and Johnson Post First Career Double-Doubles as UD Falls to Temple, 70-58, in Home Opener
NEWARK, Del. – The University of Delaware women’s basketball team saw more career-best games from two players, but it wasn’t enough Tuesday evening as Temple University spoiled the Blue Hens’ home opener by handing UD a 70-58 loss at the Bob Carpenter Center.
With the loss, Delaware (1-1) snapped a 10-game home winning streak and also a 23-game regular season winning streak.
Freshman Shanice Johnson (at right; Chester, Pa.) led the Blue Hens with career-bests of 14 points and 12 rebounds while adding in one assist and one blocked shot in 35 minutes of action. Earlier this week, Johnson was named the Colonial Athletic Association Rookie of the Week for recording 11 points and four rebounds at Rhode Island.
Senior Kelsey Buchanan (South Riding, Va.) posted her first career double double with 13 points and a career-best 10 rebounds.
Delaware led by as much as nine points to start the game before the Owls (2-0) went on a 15-4 run to go up, 23-21. Temple finished the first half by outscoring the Blue Hens, 6-1 in the remaining two minutes to take the 31-26 lead going in to the break. The Owls never looked back en route to the 70-58 victory.
Head Coach Tina Martin – “We have to get better. The bottom line is we’re going to be up and down. I think that with this group, the defensive intensity was not there the whole time and it came in spurts. When you have a young team, they will go in spurts. It is where we are at right now and we will have to find some consistency.”
Senior tri-captain Kelsey Buchanan – “It’s never easy to take a loss. This is a good game for us to watch on film because there were moments that we did good things, but there were also moments that we did bad things. We have to figure out how to take care of the turnovers.”
Freshman Shanice Johnson – “We have to play hard and bring effort from the beginning; we lacked a lot of effort at times tonight. This game will definitely help us better prepare for the pressure that we’ll face on Friday against Wake Forest.”
· Erika Brown collected a career-best seven points and three steals.
· Akeema Richards led the Hens with three assists.
· Temple led by as much as 15 points in the game.
· The Owls take a slight advantage in the all-time series with an 11-10 mark while winning the past three straight.
· Delaware is now 19-3 all-time in home openers.
· The Blue Hens are 196-78 (.715) all-time at the Bob Carpenter Center.
· UD will honor the 2012-13 CAA Champion and NCAA Sweet 16 team this Friday against Wake Forest. A pre-game ceremony will include the unveiling of the championship banner with the squad in attendance. Elena Delle Donne will also be presented with the Honda Collegiate Women Sports Award during halftime.
· Friday, Nov. 15 – Wake Forest at Delaware – 8 p.m. – Bob Carpenter Center (Newark, Del.)
· Tuesday, Nov. 19 – Monmouth at Delaware – 7 p.m. – Bob Carpenter Center (Newark, Del.)
· Sunday, Nov. 24 – Delaware at Rider – 2 p.m. – Alumni Gymnasium (Lawrenceville, N.J.)