Hens Notch Third Straight Victory While Tying School Record With 63 Rebounds in 65-54 Win at Rider
LAWRENCEVILLE, N.J. – The University of Delaware collected a season-best 63 rebounds, including career highs for redshirt sophomore Joy Caracciolo (Manassas, Va.) and senior Kelsey Buchanan (South Riding, Va.), Sunday afternoon en route to a 65-54 victory at Rider.
Caracciolo tallied the first double double of her career off of 14 points and 19 rebounds while Buchanan collected a career-best 15 rebounds in addition to 19 points for her second career double double.
In total, the Blue Hens (4-1) outrebounded the Broncs (1-4), 63-38, tying a school record for most rebounds in a single game, set on January 27, 1990, also against Rider. Sophomore Courtni Green (Winchester, Va.) added 10 rebounds for Delaware while no single Rider player collected more than nine.
The two teams went back and forth in scoring, with a total of six lead changes and four tied scores. Halfway through the second half, Rider led, 41-36, before Delaware broke things open and went on a 17-4 run to take the 53-45 advantage with less than five minutes remaining in the game.
The Hens knocked down six free throws in the 1:15 of the game to take the 65-54 victory.
MyNeshia McKenzie led the Broncs with 21 points and nine rebounds in addition to three assists and one block.
Head Coach Tina Martin – “We’re young and we’re going to do silly things at times. We missed 12 free throws today and we’ve got to be able to knock those down on somebody else’s court. We didn’t rebound as well as we could tonight. I love the effort, but we also have to have the production of putting the ball in the basket; we should score the first time. When we had to, we made our free throws and when we had to, we executed. The bottom line is, we came out with a nine-point win and obviously we did what we needed to do to get the victory. So, that’s all good stuff and I’m really happy with that, but we also have so much to improve on. I feel that these kids are capable of making those free throws and making better decisions on the floor. We will get better.”
Redshirt Sophomore Joy Caracciolo – “In the second half, it got really physical, but we went out there and did what the coaches told us to do. It got frustrating going back and forth [with the score], but the coaches forced that we have to stay in it, be aggressive, hustle and the points will come. You have to focus on stuff you can control, so we were just focusing on finishing and getting people open shots.”
· Joy Caracciolo's 19 rebounds is the most for a Blue Hen since Sharon Wisler posted 20 against Bucknell on March 5, 1989
· Kelsey Buchanan has scored double figures in all five games this season.
· Delaware has won three straight games and is 2-0 on the road this season.
· UD previously recorded a season-best 46 rebounds against Monmouth.
· The Blue Hens are now 15-5 all-time over the Broncs and have won 11 of the last 12 games in the series.
· Saturday, Nov. 24 – Delaware vs. SIU Edwardsville (at UCF Thanksgiving Classic) – 12:30 p.m. – CFE Arena (Orlando, Fla.)
· Sunday, Dec. 1 – Delaware vs. Howard (at UCF Thanksgiving Classic) – 12:30 p.m. – CFE Arena (Orlando, Fla.)
· Sunday, Dec. 15 – Delaware at Princeton – 2 p.m. – Jadwin Gym (Princeton, N.J.)