Drexel Overtakes Delaware Women’s Basketball as Blue Hens Falter in Waning Minutes, 61-52
NEWARK, Del. – In a game that featured 12 lead changes, the University of Delaware women’s basketball team faltered in the final four minutes to fall, 61-52, to Drexel University Sunday afternoon at the Bob Carpenter Center.
With the loss, the Blue Hens (11-5, 3-2 CAA) snapped a 21-game CAA winning streak at the Bob Carpenter Center. Additionally, Drexel (8-8, 3-0 CAA) beat Delaware for the first time in seven games.
Senior Kelsey Buchanan (at left; South Riding, Va.) led UD with 19 points and eight rebounds while sophomore Courtni Green (Winchester, Va.) posted a career-best eight assists in addition to eight rebounds.
Senior Akeema Richards (Baltimore, Md.) also tallied 10 points and six rebounds for the Hens.
With four minutes left in the game, the Blue Hens cut Drexel’s lead to four points at 52-48, but then allowed the Dragons to go on an 8-0 run over the next three minutes to seal the game.
Delaware never led by more than two points while the Drexel held their largest lead of the game of 12 points with less than a minute remaining.
The Blue Hens also struggled from the free throw line, shooting just 28.6 percent (2-for-7) from the charity stripe.
Three Dragons scored in double figures and were led by Sarah Curran’s 19 points while Rachel Pearson picked up 12 and Meghan Creighton collected 11.
Head Coach Tina Martin
The better team won today, plain and simple. Their kids stepped up and we weren’t able to. We took some bad shots at the end of the game and we didn’t execute like I wanted us to.
Senior tri-captain Kelsey Buchanan
I think coach is upset with our offensive execution. We had plays and we knew what we were suppose to be running, but we just didn’t execute it the way we were suppose to and that killed us near the end.
Sophomore guard Courtni Green
“It’s always very physical against Drexel and they can shoot the ball, so we always have to have our head on a swivel and watch out for screens. It was definitely a quick turnaround [after the UNCW game], but it’s all about being focused. The coaches always tell me to shoot, even when I don’t think I have a good look, they always encourage me to shoot it and if I can’t I always try to get my teammates involved.”
· Delaware’s last CAA loss at the Bob Carpenter Center came with a 69-64 defeat vs. James Madison on Feb. 20, 2011.
· UD is now 200-80 (.714) all-time at the BCC.
· The Blue Hens have had at least two players score in double digits in all 16 games this season.
· Delaware snapped a seven game winning streak against Drexel.
· The Blue Hens lost to Drexel in Newark for the first time since Jan. 17, 2010.
· Kelsey Buchanan has scored in double figures in all 16 games this season.
· Courtni Green recorded a career-best eight assists for the Blue Hens.
· Tina Martin is 352-186 (.654) during her 18 seasons as a head coach at Delaware.
· Sunday, Jan. 26 – Delaware at College of Charleston* - 2 p.m. – TD Arena (Charleston, S.C.)
· Thursday, Jan. 30 – Northeastern at Delaware* - 7 p.m. – Bob Carpenter Center (Newark, Del.)
· Sunday, Feb. 2 – Delaware at Towson* - 2 p.m. SECU Arena (Towson, Md.)