Delaware Alumna Elena Delle Donne Named WNBA Eastern Conference Player of the Month
NEW YORK – Elena Delle Donne of the Chicago Sky was named the WNBA’s Eastern Conference Players of the Month for games played in May.
Delle Donne, who swept all of the WNBA Rookie of the Month awards last season en route to the 2013 WNBA Rookie of the Year Award, scored 21 or more points in five of Chicago’s six games and guided the Sky to the top spot in the Eastern Conference (5-1).
The second-year pro led the East in scoring (23.0 ppg, second in the league behind only Maya Moore), while shooting .422 from the floor (46-of-109). Among Eastern Conference players, Delle Donne ranked second in blocks (2 bpg) and third in free throw percentage (.950 on 38-of-40). She was also named Eastern Conference Player of the Week on May 27.
Highlights of Delle Donne’s play in May included:
- May 16 vs. Indiana: Her 23-point, five-rebound, three-assist effort included 16 second-half points as the Sky overcame a 10-point deficit to defeat the visiting Fever, 74-71.
- May 17 at New York: In front of a national viewing audience on ESPN2, Delle Donne led all scorers with 23 points and added five boards in a 79-65 win over the Liberty.
- May 24 vs. Atlanta: 27 points in an 87-73 victory.
- May 30 vs. Connecticut: 28 points in a 101-82 win.
- Three games in which she was perfect from the free throw line – 6-of-6 at New York on May 17; 9-of-9 vs. Atlanta on May 24; and 8-of-8 vs. Connecticut on May 30.
Release Courtesy of the WNBA