Blue Hens Trounce Lehigh, 7-0
BETHLEHEM, Pa. – Delaware wrapped a successful weekend of play Sunday afternoon with a 7-0 triumph over Lehigh at the Lewis Tennis Center.
The Hens opened the day by sweeping the doubles point for the second consecutive day.
Sophomores Sarah Hall (West Orange, N.J./Mount Saint Dominic Academy) and Sara Komer (Venetia, Pa./Peters Township) notched the first win by routing Sibel Can and Leigh Friedman, 6-0, in No. 2 doubles for their fourth straight victory.
Freshman Brooke Pilkington (Virginia Beach, Va./Cape Henry) and junior Arielle Shuren (Montebello, N.Y./Suffern) clinched the team point in the third flight by ousting Cassidy Cruz and Grace Lin, 7-6 (4).
Graduate student Denny LaMachia (Hopkinton, Mass./Hopkinton) and junior Amanda Studnicki (Normal, Ill./Normal West) completed the sweep in the top spot by edging Christina Auyeung and Jamie Campisi, 7-6 (3).
In No. 2 singles action, Komer posted her eighth straight win of the year by defeating Can, 6-2, 6-1. Pilkington followed with a 6-1, 7-5 victory over Auyeung in the top flight.
Sophomore Annie Jaskulski (Wilmington, Del./Wilmington Friends) clinched the match in the fourth slot by collecting the 7-5 (4), 6-0 decision over Briana Maravich.
Studnicki then pulled out the hard-fought 7-5, 3-6, 10-8 win versus Campisi in No. 6 singles while LaMachia came from behind to down Lin, 5-7, 6-1, 10-3, in the third flight.
With the win, Delaware evened its season record at 4-4 while Lehigh fell to 3-3 on the year.
Head Coach Laura Travis
“What a match today! Lehigh always competes with tenacity and we came away with something to celebrate in every match played today, in addition to getting the desired outcome of a win. We did an outstanding job of elevating our level of play when we needed it most while closing out sets and matches."
· The Blue Hens have five players who have reached at least 11 singles wins on the year.
· Delaware is 31-17 (.646) in dual match singles play.
· Brooke Pilkington has posted a team-high 17 singles victories.
· Denny LaMachia leads the Hens with 34 career singles wins.
· Thursday, March 16 – Delaware at Temple – 12:30 p.m. – Hamlin Tennis Courts (Philadelphia, Pa.)
· Sunday, March 19 – Villanova at Delaware – 3 p.m. – DuPont Country Club (Wilmington, Del.)
· Friday, March 24 – Delaware at Richmond – 2:30 p.m. – UR Tennis Complex (Richmond, Va.)