Hens Come From Behind to Defeat Temple, 4-3
PHILADELPHIA, Pa. – The Blue Hens notched their third straight win of the season in come from behind fashion with Thursday’s 4-3 victory over Temple at the Hamlin Tennis Courts.
Delaware, which returned to the court after an 11-day hiatus, captured the team doubles point by picking up wins in the first and second flights after the Owls (8-7) collected the win in the third flight.
Graduate student Denny LaMachia (Hopkinton, Mass./Hopkinton) and junior Amanda Studnicki (Normal, Ill./Normal West) tallied their third consecutive victory on the year with the 6-3 top flight decision over Yana Kohn and Monet Stuckey-Willis.
Sophomores Sarah Hall (West Orange, N.J./Mount Saint Dominic Academy) and Sara Komer (Venetia, Pa./Peters Township) moved to 5-0 this season and clinched the team point with a hard-fought 7-6 (6) win against Anais Nussaume and Alina Abdurakhimova.
The Hens (5-4) fell behind early in singles play as Temple jumped out to the 3-1 advantage before Delaware rallied back.
Studnicki collected her third straight singles win by defeating Nussaume, 2-6, 6-0, 6-2 in No. 5 singles before Komer impoved to 9-0 in dual action with the 4-6, 6-4, 6-2 decision versus Stuckey-Willis.
For the second straight match, Annie Jaskulski (Wilmington, Del./Wilmington Friends) clinched the victory for the Blue Hens as the sophomore logged the 5-7, 7-5, 6-3 win against Kohn in No. 3 singles.
Head Coach Laura Travis
“This was another breakthrough performance that shows what we are capable of. I’m incredibly proud of this group for their resilience and how they fought back.”
· The Blue Hens have six players who have reached at least 10 singles wins on the year.
· Delaware is 34-20 (.630) in dual match singles play and 36-28 (.563) in overall doubles action.
· The Hens dedicated Thursday’s match to alumna Sue Nidzgorski (1978-81) and ovarian cancer awareness.
· Sunday, March 19 – Villanova at Delaware – 3 p.m. – DuPont Country Club (Wilmington, Del.)
· Friday, March 24 – Delaware at Richmond – 2:30 p.m. – UR Tennis Complex (Richmond, Va.)
· Sunday, March 26 – Delaware at UNCW * – 1 p.m. – UNCW Courts (Wilmington, N.C.)