Delaware Field Hockey Drops 2-1 Affair at Monmouth
WEST LONG BRANCH, N.J. – Freshman Esmee Peet (Zeewolde, The Netherlands) scored her third goal of the season, but it wasn’t enough as the University of Delaware field hockey team fell, 2-1, to Monmouth University Sunday afternoon at So Sweet A Cat Field.
The Hawks got on the board first as Trish O’Dwyer connected on a penalty corner shot in the 19th minute.
Peet tied the game in the 39th minute, 1-1, as she collected a pass from the endline from senior Kasey Prettyman (Newark, Del.) and put it in the net for the Blue Hens (6-3).
MU (3-6) took the lead for good in the 28th minute as Amanda Schoenfield collected her fourth goal of the season.
Senior goalie Sarah Scher (Pocomoke City, Md.) collected five saves in all 70 minutes of action.
Head Coach Rolf van de Kerkhof – “We played better as a team and had a better team performance in a number of areas than against Penn State and Bucknell last week. Unfortunately, we didn’t completely take charge of the game nor did we dominate the play, which then created difficulties for ourselves. The team is looking forward to opening CAA play next weekend. Our non-conference schedule should have presented us with all feasible scenarios that we can expect in conference play, so we should be well prepared to face William & Mary at Rullo Stadium Friday.”
· Freshman Esmee Peet is third on the team with three goals for eight points.
· Senior Kasey Prettyman collected her first assist of the season and fifth of her career.
· Monmouth tied the all-time series between the two teams at 3-3.
· Dating to last season, senior Sarah Scher has started 14 consecutive games in goal for the Hens. Scher has collected 46 saves while allowing just 18 goals this season.
· Friday, Oct. 4 – William & Mary at Delaware, 7 p.m., Rullo Stadium
· Sunday, Oct. 6 – James Madison at Delaware, 1 p.m., Rullo Stadium
· Friday, Oct. 11 – Towson at Delaware, 7 p.m., Rullo Stadium