Delaware Field Hockey Starts CAA Action With 4-0 Victory Over William & Mary
NEWARK, Del. – The University of Delaware field hockey team opened its Colonial Athletic Association season Friday evening with a bang as the Blue Hens shutout William & Mary, 4-0, at Rullo Stadium.
The Blue Hens (7-3, 1-0 CAA) collected at least three points from three different players in the win.
Sophomore Michaela Patzner (Rosenheim, Germany) led the squad with four points off of two goals while freshman Meghan Winesett (Centreville, Va.) and sophomore Allie Mikelson (Macungie, Pa.) each added a goal and assist.
Senior Clare O’Malley (Summit, N.J.) and sophomore Jacki Coveleski (Lewes, Del.) also had assists for Delaware while senior goalie Sarah Scher (Pocomoke City, Md.) collected five saves in her second shutout of the season.
The Tribe (4-6, 1-1 CAA) outshot Delaware, 11-10, and also held a 7-6 advantage in penalty corners.
Head Coach Rolf van de Kerkhof – “What a beautiful and outstanding performance today by the entire team. They played as one on both sides of the ball, which resulted in the quality play that was displayed. It was a joy to watch as both a spectator and a coach. It’s great to start CAA play 1-0 and I look forward to getting ready to face off against James Madison on Sunday.”
Senior Goalkeeper Sarah Scher – “We haven’t been playing our best field hockey and it felt really good to come out poised today. We have really been working on today being a new slate and we were ready to go as a team. To be back on our home turf feels great. It’s nice to travel and get away for a little bit, but there’s nothing like playing at Rullo Stadium. I can honestly say that I feel we have the nicest field in the country and I love playing here.”
Sophomore Michaela Patzner – “We’ve been working so hard for the last couple of weeks and it feels amazing to get this win to start off CAA play. It’s great having all of our fans, friends and families here to cheer us on and I’m happy to be home again.”
· Delaware is 79-60 (.568) all-time at Rullo Stadium and have won five consecutive games at home.
· UD takes the advantage in the all-time series between the Hens and Tribe at 9-8 with the win. Delaware has now won two straight over W&M.
· The shutout is the second of the season for UD, who previously defeated #11 Temple, 2-0, on Sept. 13.
· Senior goalie Sarah Scher has started 15 straight games for Delaware dating to last season.
· Sophomore Michaela Patzner now has 16 career goals, moving her into second place on the active roster behind junior Kelsey McKee’s 20 career goals. Senior Kasey Prettyman is third on the list with 14.
· Patzner leads the team with nine goals and two assists for 20 points.
· Freshman Meghan Winesett is second on the team with five goals and three assists for 16 points.
· Sunday, Oct. 6 – James Madison at Delaware, 1 p.m., Rullo Stadium
· Friday, Oct. 11 – Towson at Delaware, 7 p.m., Rullo Stadium
· Sunday, Oct. 13 – Princeton at Delaware, 1 p.m., Rullo Stadium