UD Soars Out of Gates With 5-2 Victory Over Ohio
BOSTON, Mass. – Sophomore All-CAA selection Michaela Patzner (Rosenheim, Germany) (at right) and freshman Meghan Winesett (Centreville, Va.) each scored two goals Sunday afternoon as the University of Delaware field hockey squad opened the 2013 campaign with a 5-2 win over Ohio University.
Patzner added an assist for the Blue Hens while sophomore Jacki Coveleski (Lewes, Del.) aided in the attack with one goal and one assist. Freshman Esmée Peet (Zeewolde, The Netherlands) also made a mark in her first collegiate game with an assist.
Delaware took a 3-1 lead at halftime, including back-to-back goals in the 10th and 11th minutes. The Bobcats came within two in the 44th minute before Patzner gave the Hens their fifth goal of the day off of a penalty stroke in the 55th minute.
Luli Gomez Teruel posted both goals for Ohio on the day.
Head Coach Rolf van de Kerkhof – “It is a great way to start the season with a win. Our team’s performance and final score confirms that all the hard work in recent months and through preseason has paid tribute. Winning our opening game is a huge compliment to all the work we put in over the summer as individuals and combining as a team throughout preseason. Ohio played well and their aggressive attacks really tested our play. It’s a great first game for us to continue to build on.”
- Sophomore Michaela Patzner scored the first goal of the season for the Blue Hens in the 10th minute. She followed with a second goal in the 55th minute.
- Patzner now has nine career goals.
- It is the second consecutive season that Patzner has scored two goals in the season opener.
- Freshman Meghan Winesett scored her first collegiate goal in the 30th minute. She followed with her second goal in the 39th minute.
- The last time a freshman scored two goals in her first collegiate game came last season when Patzner scored two in the season opener against Boston University (Aug. 24, 2012).
- Freshman Esmée Peet dished out her first collegiate assist on Patzner’s first goal.
- Senior Sarah Scher started her sixth consecutive game in goal for the Blue Hens.
- Scher collected five saves in 70 minutes of action.
- The last time Delaware scored five goals in a single game came on Sept. 24, 2011 in a 5-4 victory at Saint Joseph’s.
- Delaware is 2-1 in season openers under head coach Rolf van de Kerkhof.
- Delaware is 33-8-2 all-time in season openers.
- Delaware head coach Rolf van de Kerkhof is 5-3 all-time in season openers (Michigan State and Delaware).
- Delaware is 1-1 vs Ohio all-time.
- Monday, Sept. 2 – Delaware at Boston University, 1 p.m., New Balance Field
- Friday, Sept. 6 – Central Michigan at Delaware, 3 p.m., Rullo Stadium
- Sunday, Sept. 8 – Lafayette at Delaware, Noon, Rullo Stadium