NCAA Action Returns to Newark as No. 14 Blue Hens Field Hockey Hosts Liberty in Play-In Game Wednesday
NEWARK, Del. – NCAA Tournament action returns to Newark Wednesday as No. 14 University of Delaware (16-4) hosts Liberty (17-4) at Rullo Stadium as one of three Play-In games. Game time is slated for 2 p.m.
The winner will travel to Chapel Hill, N.C. to face third-seeded North Carolina Saturday.
The Blue Hens, who won the Colonial Athletic Association Championship Sunday with a 5-1 victory over Northeastern, will play in the NCAA Tournament for the first time since the 2009 season. It is the program’s fifth-ever appearance in the NCAA Tournament.
Liberty earned its berth into the NCAA Tournament with a 2-1 upset over then-No. 10 Stanford to pick up the 2013 NorPac Championship title. The Lady Flames claimed their first title in just their second season of competition in the NorPac and third season overall as a program.
General admission for the 2013 NCAA Play-In Game at Rullo Stadium is $5 for adults and $3 for youth (18 and younger). All participating institution’s student admission is $3 with a valid student ID.
Live stats for Wednesday’s game will be available via www.BlueHens.com.
Video/audio for Wednesday’s game will be available, for free, via Hens All-Access on www.BlueHens.com.
· Rullo Stadium has never hosted a NCAA Tournament game.
· In 1982, Delaware finished in third place in the NCAA Tournament after defeating Penn State, 4-0, in the consolation finals.
· The Blue Hens also earned trips to the NCAA Tournament in 1988, 2004 and 2009.
· With a mark of 16-4, Delaware has tied the all-time win mark in program history. UD previously hit this mark in 1978, 1982 and 1988.
· The Hens have won a season-best seven straight games.
· Previously No. 17, The Blue Hens have moved up in the recent Penn Monto/NFHCA Division I National Coaches Poll with a No. 14 ranking.
· Delaware has outscored the last six opponents, 28-4.
· The Blue Hens are 84-71 (.579) all-time at Rullo Stadium, including a 10-1 mark this season.
· Michaela Patzner leads Delaware with 40 points off of 16 goals and eight assists. Her 40 points is good for fifth in Delaware single-season history while her 16 goals are good for seventh in a single-season.
· Patzner has scored at least one point in the last seven contests.
· Esmée Peet, the CAA Player and Rookie of the Year, is second on the team with 30 points on 12 goals and six assists. Her 30 points is a new single-season record for a Delaware freshman.
· Meghan Winesett leads UD with nine assists, a new program record for a freshman.
· Dating to last season, senior goalie Sarah Scher has started 25 straight games for Delaware. She has played all 1403:05 minutes for the Blue Hens this season and has collected 91 saves with 28 goals allowed. Scher is 11th in Delaware history with 178 career saves. Stephanie Judefind (1999-02) is 10th all-time with 212 saves.
· Scher was named the Most Outstanding Performer for the CAA Tournament after tallying 12 total saves while allowing just three goals in two games.
· Heather Hartman has 17 career assists, a mark good to tie her for 12th all-time with Lauren Baugher (1992-95) and Kelly Coyle (1999-02).
· Head coach Rolf van de Kerkhof was named the CAA Co-Coach of the Year
· Delaware is currently in the top 10 of six NCAA statistical categories. The Hens are fifth with a 3.39 scoring average, sixth with 3.4 goals per game and a .800 winning mark, seventh with 9.4 points per game, eighth with a +2.0 scoring margin and 10th with 2.6 assists per game.
· Delaware and Liberty have never faced off in field hockey action.