Senior Adam Lawton Notches 50th Career Singles Victory at Second Annual Penn Invitational
PHILADELPHIA, Pa. – Senior Adam Lawton (Estepona, Spain) became just the 13th player in the 100-plus year history of the University of Delaware men’s tennis team to secure 50 career singles victories Friday afternoon at the Second Annual Penn Invitational.
As a team, Delaware went 1-1 on the day following a 7-2 loss to Penn and a 7-2 win over Saint Joseph’s.
Lawton, in just his third year in a Delaware uniform, now holds an all-time mark of 50-14 for the Blue Hens in singles action. In his first match of the day, Lawton fell, 6-5 (2), 6-3, to Penn’s John Sharp in flight 1 action before bouncing back for a 6-2, 6-5 (3) victory against Saint Joseph’s Pierre Brondeau.
Fellow senior Troy Beneck (Wilmington, Del.) went undefeated against the Quakers and Hawks. In flight 2 action, Beneck picked up wins over Penn’s Sylvester Wee, 6-3, 6-4, and SJU’s Dan Barrus, 6-2, 6-1.
In first flight doubles play, Beneck and Lawton went 2-0 with wins over Thomas Spratt/John Sharp (Penn) and Andres Urrea/Kevin Gates (SJU).
Sophomore Mike Furr (Kennett Square, Pa.) moved to 3-2 on the year following a flight 3 win over SJU’s Kevin Gates, 6-2, 6-2 while Puterio also won his sixth flight match against SJU’s Paranjay Malhotra, 6-4, 6-2.
· Delaware will play the winner of Temple/Lehigh tomorrow in dual match play at 1 p.m.
· The 2013-14 Blue Hens boast three 50-plus game winners in seniors Troy Beneck (58-31) and Adam Lawton (50-14) and assistant coach Austin Longacre (70-38).
· Troy Beneck moved into third place in UD history with a career mark of 58-31. Chris Hincker (2007-11) is second with a career record of 69-33.
· Beneck and Lawton are 48-18 all-time as doubles partners at UD.
· Beneck is the Delaware career doubles wins leader with a 64-26 all-time mark.
· Lawton is 47-20 in career doubles action, good for seventh all-time in UD history.
· Sept. 27-29 – Delaware at Penn Tournament, Philadelphia, Pa.
· Oct. 5-6 – Delaware at Lehigh Tournament, Bethlehem, Pa.
· Oct. 17-22 – Delaware at USTA/ITA Atlantic Regional at University of Virginia, Charlottesville, Va.
No team scoring
DELAWARE VS. PENN DOUBLES
1. Adam Lawton/Troy Beneck (UD) def. Thomas Spratt/John Sharp (Penn), 6-5
2. Austin Kaplan/Stu Little (Penn) def. Evan Andrews/Zack Niklaus (UD), 6-1
3. Andrew Berman/Sylvester Wee (Penn) def. Mike Furr/Tim Puterio (UD), 6-2
DELAWARE VS. PENN SINGLES
1. John Sharp (Penn) def. Adam Lawton (UD), 6-5 (2), 6-3
2. Troy Beneck (UD) def. Sylvester Wee (Penn), 6-3, 6-4
3. Austin Kaplan (Penn) def. Mike Furr (UD), 6-3, 6-5 (8)
4. Thomas Spratt (Penn) def. Zack Niklaus (UD), 6-5, 4-6, 6-1
5. Stu Little (Penn) def. Evan Andrews (UD), 6-4, 2-6, 6-3
6. Andrew Berman (Penn) def. Tyler Flematti (UD), 6-3, 6-3
DELAWARE VS. SAINT JOSEPH’S DOUBLES
1. Adam Lawton/Troy Beneck (UD) def. Andres Urrea/Kevin Gates (SJU), 6-2
2. Evan Andrews/Zack Niklaus (UD) def. Tristan Boustany/Paranjay Malhotra (SJU), 6-3
3. Tim Puterio/Tyler Flematti (UD) def. Clark Ruiz/Sam Cadwell (SJU), 6-1
DELAWARE VS. SAINT JOSEPH’S SINGLES
1. Adam Lawton (UD) def. Pierre Brondeau (SJU), 6-2, 6-5 (3)
2. Troy Beneck (UD) def. Dan Barrus (SJU), 6-2, 6-1
3. Mike Furr (UD) def. Kevin Gates (SJU), 6-2, 6-2
4. Kyle Chalmers (SJU) def. Zack Niklaus (UD), 6-2, 6-2
5. Jason Sisti (SJU) def. Evan Andrews (UD), 6-1, 6-0
6. Tim Puterio (UD) def. Paranjay Malhotra (SJU), 6-4, 6-2