University of Delaware Menís Tennis Falls in Final Match to Lehigh, 4-3
BETHLEHEM, Pa. – It all came down to the final match, but the University of Delaware men’s tennis team was unable to prevail as Lehigh defeated the Blue Hens, 4-3, Sunday at the Lewis Tennis Center.
With a 3-3 tie, the sixth flight determined the fate of the day as the Blue Hens fell just short when Ethan Bogard defeated sophomore Tim Puterio (Kingston, R.I.), 6-3, 2-6, 6-1.
The Mountain Hawks (6-2) lead off the day by winning the team doubles point to go up, 1-0.
The Blue Hens (2-3) claimed the top two flights as senior Troy Beneck (Wilmington, Del.) defeated Ben Gilman, 6-4, 6-3 while classmate Adam Lawton (Estepona, Spain) picked up a 6-0, 6-3 win over Mitchell Petersen.
Sophomore Mike Furr (Kennett Square, Pa.) also earned a singles victory with a 6-2, 6-4 triumph against Tyler Hansen.
Head Coach Laura Travis
“Our guys showed a resilient effort to bounce back from yesterday’s loss to perform so well today. It all came down to the final match and we came up just short. The players battled and represented Delaware with class and integrity. We will build upon this and continue to improve.”
· Troy Beneck has won five straight singles matches.
· Beneck is now tied for second all-time in school history with Chris Hincker (2007-10) with 69 career singles victories.
· Adam Lawton is 56-19 all-time and tied for sixth in Delaware history with Sam Barrer (2006-10) for career singles wins.
· Lawton is 57-22 all-time in doubles play, a mark that puts him alone in third place.
· Lawton and Beneck have won five straight doubles matches.
· Saturday, March 1 – Delaware at Navy – 11 a.m. – Annapolis, Md.
· Saturday, March 8 – Delaware at Hofstra* - 5 p.m. – Oceanside, N.Y.
· Sunday, March 23 – Bucknell at Delaware – 3 p.m. – DuPont Country Club (Wilmington, Del.)