Troy Beneck and Adam Lawton Break School Career Doubles Win Record against Temple
ANNAPOLIS, Md. – With their senior seasons officially underway, seniors Troy Beneck (Wilmington, Del.) and Adam Lawton (Estepona, Spain) teamed up to break the University of Delaware men’s tennis team career doubles record Saturday afternoon against Temple at the Navy Invitational.
The duo defeated Hicham Belkssir and Kristian Marquart by a score of 8-6 to improve their career mark to 42-17 and break the previous record of 41-21 set by Courtney Scott and Chris Hincker from 2009-11.
Beneck and Lawton also each picked up singles victories while freshman Roy Cheng (Shatin, Hong Kong) marked his first career singles win in a Blue Hen uniform.
- There is no team scoring at this weekend’s Navy Invitational.
- Troy Beneck is 53-30 all-time in a Delaware uniform, good for sixth all-time. Sam Barrer (2006-10) is fifth on the list with 56 career wins.
- Adam Lawton’s career record now sits at 46-12, good for 17th all-time in Delaware history. Three former Blue Hens (Lee Kennedy, Nolan Greenberg, Andrew Vorobyov) each have 47 career victories.
- Dating to last season, Lawton has won three straight singles matches.
- Beneck and Lawton hold a 42-17 career doubles record, a new school record. Courtney Scott/Chris Hincker (2009-11) previously held the record of 41-21 for the Blue Hens.
- Beneck is 58-25 in career doubles play, one win shy of Andre Vorobyov’s (2008-12) mark of 59-31.
- Lawton is 41-19 in career doubles play, good to tie for 13th all-time in Delaware history with Jeff Harrison (1989-93) and Steve Querner (1978-82).
- Zack Niklaus and Alex Sweet are currently 2-0 in doubles action.
- Sweet upped his career doubles mark to 10-7 while Niklaus starts his career with a record of 2-0.
- Sunday, Sept. 8 – Delaware vs. St. Bonaventure, 9 a.m., Navy Tennis Courts, Annapolis, Md.
- Sept. 20-22 – Delaware at Saint Joseph’s Tournament, Philadelphia, Pa.
- Sept. 27-29 – Delaware at Penn Tournament, Philadelphia, Pa.
No team scoring
1. Troy Beneck/Adam Lawton (D) def. Hicham Belkssir/Kristian Marquart (T), 8-6
2. Santiago Canete/Nicholas Paulus (T) def. Evan Andrews/Tyler Flematti (D), 8-4
3. Sam Rundle/Hernan Vasconez (T) def. Roy Cheng/Mike Furr (D), 8-1
4. Zack Niklaus/Alex Sweet (D) def. Moros Januvka/Vinet Naran (T), 8-6
1. Adam Lawton (D) def. Kristian Marquart (T), 7-5, 6-1
2. Troy Beneck (D) def. Hernan Vasconez (T), 6-2, 6-4
3. Nicholas Paulus (T) def. Zack Niklaus (D), 6-2, 6-1
4. Santiago Canete (T) def. Evan Andrews (D), 6-1, 6-3
5. Sam Rundle (T) def. Tyler Flematti (D), 6-4, 6-0
6. Hicham Belkssir (T) def. Alex Sweet (D), 6-2, 6-4
7. Roy Cheng (D) def. Moros Januvka (T), 5-7, 6-4, 1-0 (10-3)
8. Vinet Naran (T) def. Blake Dantzler (D), 6-3, 6-4
Order of Finish: 4, 3, 8, 2, 6, 5, 1, 7