Senior Adam Lawton Victorious For University of Delaware Menís Tennis Against Navy
ANNAPOLIS, Md. – Adam Lawton (Estepona, Spain) kicked off his senior year with a bang this afternoon as the University of Delaware men’s tennis team took on Navy at the USNA Tennis Courts.
In what proved to be the final match of the afternoon between the Blue Hens and Mids, Lawton (at right) defeated Thomas Pecor in an exciting tight third set super breaker, 5-7, 7-5, 1-0 (13-11) in top-flight action.
Also victorious for Delaware was the doubles team of freshman Zack Niklaus (Cos Cob, Conn.) and sophomore Alex Sweet (Naples, Fla.). The duo defeated Jacob Darrah and Krishna Jana, 8-6, in no. 4 doubles play.
Delaware Assistant Coach Austin Longacre – “Navy is always a difficult opponent, but we came out strong against them. Adam Lawton was definitely our top performer today as he played an exceptional match in the top singles spot.”
- There will be no team scoring at this weekend’s Navy Invitational.
- With the win, Lawton improves his career singles record to 45-12, good to tie for 17th place all-time in Delaware history with Steve Querner (1978-82; 45-20).
- Sweet upped his career doubles record to 9-7.
- Niklaus starts his career with a doubles mark of 1-0.
- The Delaware men’s tennis team has five newcomers on its roster.
- Saturday, Sept. 7 – Delaware vs. Temple, 2 p.m., Navy Tennis Courts, Annapolis, Md.
- Sunday, Sept. 8 – Delaware vs. St. Bonaventure, 9 a.m., Navy Tennis Courts, Annapolis, Md.
- Sept. 20-22 – Delaware at Saint Joseph’s Tournament, Philadelphia, Pa.
No team scoring
1. Austin Jones/Thomas Pecor (N) def. Troy Beneck/Adam Lawton (D), 9-7
2. Blake Daniel/Calvin Mark (N) def. Evan Andrews/Tyler Flematti (D), 9-7
3. Alex Gaines/Tyler Tossavainen (N) def. Roy Cheng/Mike Furr (D), 8-5
4. Zack Niklaus/Alex Sweet (D) def. Jacob Darrah/Krishna Jana (N), 8-6
1. Adam Lawton (D) def. Thomas Pecor (N), 5-7, 7-5, 1-0 (13-11)
2. Austin Jones (N) def. Troy Beneck (D), 7-5, 7-5
3. Calvin Mark (N) def. Zack Niklaus (D), 6-2, 6-2
4. Blake Daniel (N) def. Evan Andrews (D), 7-5, 7-5
5. Krisha Jana (N) def. Tyler Flematti (D), 7-5, 6-3
6. Alex Gaines (N) def. Alex Sweet (D), 6-2, 6-4
7. Tyler Tossavainen (N) def. Roy Cheng (D), 0-6, 6-2, 1-0 (13-11)
8. Jacob Darrah (N) def. Blake Dantzler (D), 6-4, 6-2
Order of Finish: 3, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 2, 1