Three Sets of Blue Hens Doubles Teams Advance to Second Day of Saint Joseph’s Fall Invitational
PHILADELPHIA, Pa. – Two seniors continues to dominate while a newcomer picked up his first career victory as the University of Delaware men’s tennis team opened the Saint Joseph’s Fall Invitational with doubles action Friday afternoon.
Sophomore Tim Puterio, a walk-on from Kingston, R.I., collected his first career doubles win as he teamed up with classmate Alex Sweet (Naples, Fla.) for an 8-5 victory over Army’s Sam Jang-Milsten and David Proctor in Flight 2. The duo was eliminated from doubles play following an 8-0 loss to Drexel’s Tyler Pultro and Danny Talone.
Freshman Roy Cheng (Naples, Fla.) and junior Evan Andrews (York, Pa.) also advanced to Saturday’s action after defeating La Salle’s Andy O’Connell and Mark Robinson, 8-1, in the Doubles Flight 2 consolation bracket.
Delaware Assistant Coach Austin Longacre – “I’m excited for Tim to be able to earn his first college victory alongside classmate Alex Sweet as a first-year walk-on.”
· Singles action opens Saturday at 8:30 a.m.
· Lawton/Beneck take on SJU’s Jose Sierra and Dan Barrus tomorrow in the Doubles Flight 1 semi-finals.
· Flematti/Niklaus match-up against Drexel’s Skyler Davis and Dan Koehler in the Doubles Flight 1 consolation bracket.
· Cheng/Andrews pair up against Lafayette’s Mitch Abramo and Brian Stefanowicz in the Doubles Flight 2 consolation bracket.
· Beneck and Lawton hold a 45-17 career doubles record, a new school record. Courtney Scott/Chris Hincker (2009-11) previously held the record of 41-21 for the Blue Hens.
· Beneck is 61-25 in career doubles play, breaking Andre Vorobyov’s (2008-12) school record of 59-31.
· Lawton is 44-19 in career doubles play, good to tie for eighth all-time in Delaware history with Ari Zweig (2000-04) and Chris Hincker (2007-11).
· Sept. 20-22 – Delaware at Saint Joseph’s Tournament, Philadelphia, Pa.
· Sept. 27-29 – Delaware at Penn Tournament, Philadelphia, Pa.
· Oct. 5-6 – Delaware at Lehigh Tournament, Bethlehem, Pa.
No team scoring
DOUBLES FLIGHT 1
Troy Beneck/Adam Lawton (UD) def. Joe LaBate/Brian Balico (La Salle), 8-1
Beneck/Lawton (UD) def. Andres Urrea/Paranjay Malhotra (SJU), 8-5
Henry Jang-Milsten/Rommel Verano (Army) def. Tyler Flematti/Zack Niklaus (UD), 8-4
DOUBLES FLIGHT 2
Jason Sisti/Tristan Boustany (SJU) def. Blake Dantzler/Mike Furr (UD), 8-4
Mitch Abramo/Brian Stefanowicz (LC) def. Dantzler/Furr (UD), 8-5
Badr Ouabdelmoumen/Daniel Hansen (Drexel) def. Roy Cheng/Evan Andrews (UD), 8-3
Cheng/Andrews (UD) def. Andy O’Connell/Mark Robinson (La Salle), 8-1
Tim Puterio/Alex Sweet (UD) def. Sam Jang-Milsten/David Proctor (Army), 8-5
Tyler Pultro/Danny Talone (Drexel) def. Puterio/Sweet (UD), 8-0