Roy Cheng and Evan Andrews Pair Up For Doubles Championship at Saint Joseph’s Fall Invitational
PHILADELPHIA, Pa. – The University of Delaware men’s tennis team wrapped up the Saint Joseph’s Fall Invitational Sunday with freshman Roy Cheng (Shatin, Hong Kong) and junior Evan Andrews (York, Pa.) bringing home the Doubles Flight 2 Consolation Championship.
Cheng and Andrews opened with a walkover win against Lafayette’s Mitch Abramo and Brian Stefanowicz before defeating Army’s Sam Jang-Milsten and David Proctor, 8-5, in the finals.
Seniors Adam Lawton (Estepona, Spain) and Troy Beneck (Wilmington, Del.) also earned a trip to their respective doubles finals round following a Flight 1 win over SJU’s Jose Sierra and Dan Barrus, 8-5. The duo then fell in the finals, 8-4, to Thomas O’Brien and Kelly Donaldson from Villanova.
· Adam Lawton snapped a six-match winning streak following a loss to SJU’s Jose Sierra.
· Lawton and Troy Beneck broke a four-match doubles winning streak.
· Lawton and Beneck are 56-31 all-time as doubles partners at Delaware.
· Roy Cheng and Evan Andrews have won four consecutive doubles matches.
· Sept. 27-29 – Delaware at Penn Tournament, Philadelphia, Pa.
· Oct. 5-6 – Delaware at Lehigh Tournament, Bethlehem, Pa.
· Oct. 17-22 – Delaware at USTA/ITA Atlantic Regional at University of Virginia, Charlottesville, Va.
No team scoring
SINGLES FLIGHT 1
Badr Ouabdelmoumen (Drexel) def. Troy Beneck (UD), 6-1, 6-7 (5), 10-7
Jose Sierra (SJU) def. Adam Lawton (UD), 2-6, 7-6 (8), 10-8
SINGLES FLIGHT 2
Dan Koehler (Drexel) def. Mike Furr (UD), 4-6, 6-4, 10-5
SINGLES FLIGHT 3
Tristan Boustany (SJU) def. Roy Cheng (UD), 6-2, 6-3
SINGLES FLIGHT 4
Daniel Hansen (Drexel) def. Tim Puterio (UD), 6-3, 6-7 (3), 10-4