Menís Tennis Senior Troy Beneck Earns 60th Career Singles Victory on Day One of Lehigh Invitational
BETHLEHEM, Pa. – The history books continue to be re-written for the University of Delaware men’s tennis team as senior Troy Beneck (Wilmington, Del.) secured his 60th career victory Saturday at the Lehigh Fall Invitational.
With two victories on the day, Beneck became just the third player in the 100-plus year history in Delaware men’s tennis history to hit the 60-win mark. Beneck opened the day with a 6-4, 6-4 win over Lehigh’s Mark Goldberg before defeating CAA-rival Drexel’s Alex Fioravante, 4-6, 6-4, 10-5.
Beneck also teamed up with fellow senior Adam Lawton (Estepona, Spain) to defeat Lehigh’s Goldberg and Mitchell Petersen, 8-5, in flight one doubles action.
Freshmen Zack Niklaus (Cos Cob, Conn.) and Roy Cheng (Shatin, Hong Kong) paired up for their first doubles victory as a team with a fourth-flight 8-6 win over Tyler Hansen and Timur Chernykh from Lehigh.
Also earning singles victories for the Blue Hens Saturday were junior Evan Andrews (York, Pa.) and sophomores Alex Sweet (Naples, Fla.), Mike Furr (Kennett Square, Pa.) and Tim Puterio (Kingston, R.I.).
· Delaware will play a mixed team from Bucknell/Temple tomorrow beginning at 9 a.m.
· Senior Troy Beneck is currently 61-32 in his four-year career, making him just the third player in Delaware history to notch 60-plus career singles victories. Chris Hincker (2007-11) is second with a career mark of 69-33 while current UD assistant coach Austin Longacre posted a 70-38 record as a player from 2006-10.
· Senior Adam Lawton holds a career record of 51-17, good to tie for seventh all-time in Delaware history with Ken Dill (1978-82) and Ira Bernstein (1995-99).
· Beneck and Lawton are 49-18 all-time as doubles partners at UD.
· Beneck is the Delaware career doubles wins leader with a 65-28 all-time mark.
· Lawton is 49-21 in career doubles action, good for seventh all-time in UD history.
· Freshmen Zack Niklaus and Roy Cheng earned their first career doubles victory against Lehigh.
· Delaware is 21-20 in doubles action this season.
· Oct. 5-6 – Delaware at Lehigh Tournament, Bethlehem, Pa.
· Oct. 17-22 – Delaware at USTA/ITA Atlantic Regional at University of Virginia, Charlottesville, Va.
· Fall season complete.
No team scoring
DELAWARE VS. LEHIGH DOUBLES
1. Troy Beneck/Adam Lawton (UD) def. Mark Goldberg/Mitchell Petersen (LU), 8-5
2. Ben Gilman/Jeremy Kochman (LU) def. Evan Andrews/Alex Sweet (UD), 8-7
3. Colin Nardella/Ethan Bogard (LU) def. Tim Puterio/Tyler Flematti (UD), 8-5
4. Zack Niklaus/Roy Cheng (UD) def. Tyler Hansen/Timur Chernykh (LU), 8-6
DELAWARE VS. LEHIGH SINGLES
1. Ben Gilman (LU) def. Adam Lawton (UD), 2-6, 6-0, 10-6
2. Troy Beneck (UD) def. Mark Goldberg (LU), 6-4, 6-4
3. Jeremy Kochman (LU) def. Mike Furr (UD), 6-2, 7-5
4. Mitchell Petersen (LU) def. Zack Niklaus (UD), 6-1, 6-5
5. Evan Andrews (UD) def. Tyler Hansen (LU), 6-3, 0-6, 10-8
6. Timur Chernykh (LU) def. Tyler Flematti (UD), 6-3, 6-2
7. Jason Sutker (LU) def. Tim Puterio (UD), 4-6, 6-2, 10-4
8. Alex Sweet (UD) def. Ethan Bogard (LU), 6-4, 1-6, 10-8
DELAWARE VS. DREXEL DOUBLES
DELAWARE VS. DREXEL SINGLES
1. Adam Lawton (UD) def. Badr Ouabdelmoumen (Drexel), 6-4, 0-6 (7)
2. Troy Beneck (UD) def. Alex Fioravante (Drexel), 4-6, 6-4, 10-5
3. Mike Furr (UD) def. Dan Koehler (Drexel), 6-0, 6-4
4. Skyler Davis (Drexel) def. Zack Niklaus (UD), 1-6, 6-2 (7)
5. Xabier Saavedra (Drexel) def. Evan Andrews (UD), 6-4, 6-7 (4), (7)
6. Tim Puterio (UD) def. Tyler Pultro (Drexel), 6-2, 2-6 (6)
7. Paul Stauskas (Drexel) def. Roy Cheng (UD), 7-5, 6-3
8. Daniel Hansen (Drexel) def. Blake Dantzler (UD), 6-1, 6-2