Delaware Snaps Losing Streak with 5-2 Win Over Villanova as Beneck Breaks School Record with 71 Career Singles Victories
WILMINGTON, Del. – The wins keep rolling in for Troy Beneck as the senior picked up his 71st career singles victory Sunday afternoon to move into first place all-time in the University of Delaware men’s tennis record books.
Beneck guided the Blue Hens (3-5) to a 5-2 win over Villanova (0-9) at DuPont Country Club as he broke the Delaware record previously held by current Blue Hens associate head coach Austin Longacre, who finished his four-year UD career with a mark of 70-38.
The Wilmington, Del. native defeated Mark Miller, 6-2, 6-4, in top flight singles action to move to 19-5 on the year and 71-34 in his career.
Beneck also paired up with classmate Adam Lawton (Estepona, Spain) to collect an 8-4 victory over Kelly Donaldson and Miller in No. 1 doubles play.
In singles play, Lawton picked up a tough fought 6-1, 5-7, 10-6 victory vs. Donaldson in the second flight while Furr defeated Ryan Peyton, 6-2, 1-6, 10-3 in the third flight.
Freshman Zack Niklaus (Cos Cob, Conn.) recorded the Hens’ final singles win of the day by beating Rosengren, 6-3, 6-2, in the No. 5 spot.
Head Coach Laura Travis
“I am extremely proud of Troy for reaching this mark in his career. He works quietly and diligently every single day in practice and in the weight room. He leads by example and this recognition is very well deserved.”
Associate Head Coach Austin Longacre
“I could not be more proud that Troy was the one who broke my school record. He’s an outstanding player and works extremely hard each and every day.”
· Troy Beneck is the only player in school history to collect at least 70 doubles and singles wins.
· Beneck, Mike Furr and Adam Lawton have each won two straight matches.
· Lawton is 58-20 all-time in singles play, a total good for fourth all-time in Delaware history.
· Lawton is tied for second place all-time with a career doubles mark of 59-23.
· The Blue Hens are 37-34 in doubles play this season.
· Thursday, March 20 – Saint Joseph’s at Delaware – 3:30 p.m. – Delaware Field House Outdoor Courts (Newark, Del.)
· Sunday, March 23 – Bucknell at Delaware – 3 p.m. – DuPont Country Club (Wilmington, Del.)
· Saturday, March 29 – Delaware at William & Mary* - 4 p.m. – Williamsburg, Va.