Senior Adam Lawton Collects Sixth Straight Win; James Madison defeats Delaware, 4-2
HARRISONBURG, Va. – Senior Adam Lawton (Estepona, Spain) tallied his sixth straight singles victory Wednesday afternoon, but the University of Delaware men’s tennis team posted a 4-2 loss to James Madison at University Park.
Lawton defeated Sebastian Salinas, 4-6, 6-2, 6-4, in No. 2 singles to move to 18-8 on the year.
Delaware also received a victory from sophomore Tim Puterio (Kingston, R.I.) as he collected a 6-3, 6-4 win over Niels Kathol in the fifth flight.
With the loss, the Hens fall to 4-8 on the year and 0-3 in the Colonial Athletic Association while James Madison improves to 5-9 overall and 1-2 in the CAA.
The two teams began doubles play following the completion of singles action, but were unable to finish due to lightning and rain.
Head Coach Laura Travis
“It is unfortunate that we couldn’t complete doubles play due to lightning and rain. We are glad that we were able to get the singles matches complete as it gives us another opportunity to improve before the CAA Championships.”
· Adam Lawton is 18-8 this year and has reached at least 17 wins in all three of his seasons playing in a Delaware uniform.
· Lawton holds an all-time career record of 62-20, good for fourth all-time in Blue Hens history.
· UD has lost two straight matches.
· Saturday, April 5 – Delaware at George Mason – Noon – Fairfax, Va.
· Saturday, April 12 – Drexel at Delaware* – Noon – Delaware Field House Outdoor Courts (Newark, Del.)
· April 18-20 – TBA – CAA Championships – Millie West Tennis Facility (Williamsburg, Va.)